How to correctly install magnet & magneto?

GoldenMotor.com

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
The only thread I can find is this one, but all the links given are dead.

My questions:
1. Does it matter which side of the magnet faces the engine?
2. I read that when I install the magnet the keyway should be at the 1 o clock positon -- why is this? I'm thinking no matter where the keyway is at when you install the magnet it will just continue to spin anyway.

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
1) Yes it matters
2) If you dont install the magnet the right way the ignition will fire at the wrong time
Is there a way to tell which way is correct or just the process of elimination?

So as long as the keyway is at the 1 o clock position when I install the magnet, it's fine? Why can't i put it at any other position and then spin it to be at 1 o clock? This is what confuses me

MedicWill

Oct 25, 2010
Cali
Is there a way to tell which way is correct or just the process of elimination?

So as long as the keyway is at the 1 o clock position when I install the magnet, it's fine? Why can't i put it at any other position and then spin it to be at 1 o clock? This is what confuses me
Your missing an important part.
The key should face 1 o'clock at TDC.
If you installed it backwards it's at 11 o'clock at TDC.

TDC is top dead center. That's when the piston is as far up as it can go.

Trevor.B

May 30, 2021
Your missing an important part.
The key should face 1 o'clock at TDC.
If you installed it backwards it's at 11 o'clock at TDC.

TDC is top dead center. That's when the piston is as far up as it can go.
Welp that answers my question on why my motors not turning over at all I guess so if I installed it backwards was there any damage that could have been done and could I just take off the magneto and flip it or is it more complicated.

MedicWill

Oct 25, 2010
Cali
Welp that answers my question on why my motors not turning over at all I guess so if I installed it backwards was there any damage that could have been done and could I just take off the magneto and flip it or is it more complicated.
Should be fine, just flip it so its 1'oclock at TDC.