How do you register a Moped that you built yourself?

GoldenMotor.com

grandpa2390

Jul 13, 2008
If I build a moped I'm not going to have bill of sale or vehicle identification number and such. What do i do?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Might want to ask someone at a custom motorcycle shop.

If you're starting with a bike frame, you have a serial number for the bike already....

grandpa2390

Jul 13, 2008
Ok. so I would use that serial number, and for the bill of sale, could i use my receipt for the bike, and for the kit?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Probably. Most likely don't need the receipt for the kit though. Just the bike. But it might not be good enough. Check to see if they allow submittal of a notarized affidavit stating that you in fact do own the bike.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Basically a statement on paper saying that you guarantee that you are the legal owner of the bike, and you would sign it in front of a notary and they would sign it and attach their seal.

Anyway, like I said in the other thread, probably a good idea to call up your dmv and start working on your google-fu :)

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
first check with DMV department of your state. Where I live in new york you can only register a bike with an MCO manufacturer certificate of origin. They do not allow homemade gas bikes.

handel.barz

Jan 27, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
first check with DMV department of your state. Where I live in new york you can only register a bike with an MCO manufacturer certificate of origin. They do not allow homemade gas bikes.
And now the fun begins. I my area I went through months of negotiations and questions and talking with various "beaurocrazies" and was told basically "you can't register that here". What it all boils down to is accountability. Nobody has any paperwork that lets them register your machine and then gets them off the hook if you kill yourself on it. They would let me register mine if I listed it for off road use up in cottage country or on a farm. Your best bet is to build it for fun and make it as quiet running and smoke free as you can. Don't annoy people riding your creation and most of all don't "p___-off" motorists by getting in their way. BTDT.
rly

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Grandpa, before you lift a wrench or buy anything..........

Look up the laws of your state and how mopeds, and motorized bicycles are defined there.
This link shows each of the 50 states, so just find yours, click it and start reading.

Moped Laws by state

Now if you live deep in the rural areas or the have lots of land to ride on and want to let the
kids ride on your own property then that's different. But if you are where law enforcement
seems to have a quota to fill each day you'd better know what's up before you start.

Ohio, where I live, has a list of mopeds they approve. They are all factory built. No homebuilts.
You may be luckier in the state where you reside.

I've done loads of research where I live, and gone thru the Bueracracy of Ohio BMV and even
talked to my lawyer.

I bought the bike I've motorized in a yard sale for $5 bucks. After I restored it to what it is now
I've got about $50 in it and it's like new. But BMV doesn't like yard sale receipts. So I went across the river to a bicycle shop and got a blank sales receipt and filled it out to make it look like I
bought it used from them. That way it looks like it came from a business. This is the kind of
stuff you go thru. And like my Lawyer said, you could probably buy a used Honda 50 or some
thing for the same amount of money, get a title, license it and not have all the hastles.

Last edited: