How do you choose front forks?

GoldenMotor.com

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
My forks can't handle my bikes wieght and sit in the fully compressed position, I knew they were crap the first day I rode it but now with the motor and batteries I need a new set. Has anyone ever replaced the springs inside the tubes? If I wanted to buy a nice setup , where would I look?
How do you pick a make that you know will fit. What do I have to know? I may as well get good ones if that is possible for around $150. Is that possible? It's an Izip.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Thanks, if that is all there is to it, I guess I should go to the bike shop in Town and see if I could get some longer springs. After posting this I went to ebay and was shocked to see forks going for 7,8 hundred bucks! I just don't know what one or two hundred would get me.
This is one of those times where I'd love to ask the manufacturer what he was thinking because I'm sure he chuckled to himself when his work was done.

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
I`ve read posts here i`ve found through the search function about front forks. Theres a specific set that was recommended for motorbikes by a user who changed out his no suspension forks. I think they cost $50 if i remember right since i was thinking about the same mod. but im too lazy to try to track down that post.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I just got back from the bike shop. She said I'd have to spend $400 and that mine is not repairable because they are stamped/pressed closed and can't be taken apart.
She said I should just go with regular forks but I really like having suspension.
I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for a used bike or parts.
Geez, they now make 29 inch rims! Looked so cool.

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I just got back from the bike shop. She said I'd have to spend $400 and that mine is not repairable because they are stamped/pressed closed and can't be taken apart.
She said I should just go with regular forks but I really like having suspension.
I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for a used bike or parts.
Geez, they now make 29 inch rims! Looked so cool.
Why not try a springer fork? They're less than $100 and work real well.
I've got one on mine and it rides nice and smoooooth.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Tell me about it. Are they chopper-like or is that just a misconception on my part. also, can you run a fender? What about front brakes? I know nothing about this.
Can you tell me where you got it from, maybe a link?

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Tell me about it. Are they chopper-like or is that just a misconception on my part. also, can you run a fender? What about front brakes? I know nothing about this.
Can you tell me where you got it from, maybe a link?
Go to Ebay and type in bicycle springers, and you will find them in chrome or black for about $75.00. Yes you can mount a fender and
brakes to them if you want. Good luck