homelite tear down and cleaning

GoldenMotor.com

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I picked up a homelite weed wacker off craigslist for $15. Runs but not well. I'm ripping it down and cleaning it up to fix the issue- Starts up really well, run only when on half choke, but stalls out shortly after.

Guy bought it used last year, didn't admit to leaving gas in it over the winter but had put fresh gas in it with what looks like way to much mix. He alluded to the idea that it COULD have had old gas in it... He said it take a 50:1 mix. the model number is a homelite Z625cd. I looked up on their website and found that they came with either a 30cc cylinder or 25. I'm pretty sure that mine is the 30cc because the 30 came with either a clutch or not and the 25 was clutch only, mine does not have a clutch. the only markings I can find on the engine are the numbers: 06825 (Also 30cc is wishful thinking on my part as I'd like to have the larger engine...:D)

I began the rip apart tonight and posted pics to my flickr but will load them all up here once i get them edited so they fit. see them at flickr here Bike Things - a set on Flickr

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
look at that cute little carb- probably the source of my woes
I label things in case I forget where they go- I realized after labeling this, it's the only wire on the whole thing, I probably WON'T forget it goes to the kill switch.... for which I will wire in a sweet new momentary switch
I also labeled the fuel lines: #1 inlet has fuel filter in tank #2 outlet...
Inlet port doesn't look bad, looks pretty clean. a little oil but over all can't complain.

Also all gas was poured out. It looked funny.... Really red, overly so and greasy as he!!. Not like the 2 stroke mix I've been using, my 2 stroke mix is blue green and never seems this greasy, even at 32:1 for the ryobi. When draining it I was going to throw it in my gas can and put it in my car... But after looking at it I don't want to, the car is nice...

Attachments

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Thursday I will take the little carb apart and see if there is crud in it, which is possible. I did squirt in some carb cleaner into it and I may see if I can get it running smoothly with just that. we'll see.

aww gee isn't that the cutest carb you ever did see?

Attachments

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
here's something I didn't expect that black plastic that I got the really crappy picture of? that covers the crank! Pull that off and there is the inside of the engine?!? This could also be a source of woe, the seal on the gasket seems iffy, lots of oil all around it. Lots of red greasy gas too. it feels like oil though.

Attachments

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Got the muffler off, seems overly heavy for it's size, look around the openings... not much to see. No build up on the exhaust port, the muffler looks okay, take off a plate and there is a screen covers 3 little holes there is a little build up over the hole, i half @$$ clean it off. Looks a lot better, not so visible in the picture.

During the test firing of the muffler I found this to be a very quiet engine. more so than either of hte other 2 I have.

Ripping it down I'm shocked at how small it is.I don't know, The website says 25 or 30cc but I'm not convinced. I understand now though, why people like homelites for RC use, if this is the case with all of them- small.

The exhaust port is the same size and shape as on the scooter I have. That opens up possibilities for using scooter pipes.

Attachments