home made temperature sensor

GoldenMotor.com

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
Iv been really curious about to know what kind of cylinder head Temps iv been getting especially with the new head so I rigged up this temperature sensor from a computer with a small 12 volt battery from a garage door opener and jammed the sensor between the head and spark plug. The plug actually holds it on when I screw it in. (Just heppened to work like that luckily)
I know the sensor is accurate and reads from -30 all the way to 800 celcious so I'm gonna go see. It seems that 300 degrees F is about where most people say is getting to high which is about 149 C. So we'll see where it's at

Attachments

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
Well.... bran new battery lasted about 15 mins and died so I wasn't able to really test it but when the motor was fully warmed up I got a reading of 94C (200F) which seems accurate to what iv read about these emgines.
Max temp I saw was 126C (259F) after a WOT run then the battery died. I'm sure it got a little hotter bit couldn't tell. The A23 battery I used is rated at about 55mah and the sensor uses about 50mah max so I was thinking it might last 45 mins to an hour most but no... so I'll need to find a better battery or getting g one of those 12 volt stator so it will only run when the bike is running but that's ok. Iv heard many bad things about those 12 volt stator tho