Help with a cool project please.

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by RCinAL, Dec 27, 2009.

1. 2door

2door Moderator
    Staff Member

2. RCinAL

RCinAL New Member

Thanks everyone.

The more I learn and think about this particular build, the harder and more expensive it gets.

I hadn't considered brakes. The bike only has a rear coaster brake now and I am finding out that good brakes are an essential part of a quality motorized build. I would definitely need to install a good front brake - and the fat tire, tubular forks, and black rims don't lend themselves to an easy rim brake set up. It also seems that any kind of retrofit disc brake set up would require fabricating and welding a complicated, heavy duty braket onto the chrome fork. This would mean an expensive rechroming of both fork tubes and most likely using another wheel, not to mention buying all the levers, cables, calipers, and other parts. I could easily buy an entire bike and probably even an engine kit for less than the brake mods alone would cost for this bike.

I'm really not up to a lot of fabricating and problem solving and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars or destroy this bike's unique features. Everything about it now screams "style" and "art". It is a head turner just as it is - right down to the 8-ball paint job, which would get covered up by a gas tank.

As much as I hate it, I think I am going to have to consider another, cheaper bike for mounting an engine - maybe something with a steel frame and good brakes already. So it looks like I am now on the hunt for a cheaper bike that better lends itself to this modification.

I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I am open to suggestions for a good bike to modify that is proven and won't break the bank since I now know I need to buy the engine kit and a bike. I'll be looking for something inexpensive that an engine kit will bolt right into without a lot of fuss.

I'm all ears if anyone knows of something that fits the bill. I am partial to cruisers.

Ralph.

3. rkorson4209

rkorson4209 New Member

With a bike that looks that cool I myself would only use creative eng. parts on it motor mount, sprocket hub adap, and manifold.

4. RCinAL

RCinAL New Member

I've had this bike for almost 4 years and love it. But if I had it to do over and could have known I would want a motor, I would have bought this:

Nirve.com - Large Image

It is about the same price and already has good brakes. With the low-swooping rear frame, (where the rear tire goes), you wouldn't even need a chain roller/tensioner. You would probably have to make a special engine mount and modify the pipe though because of the super forward pedals. I could live with those mods I think.

Anybody ever motorized one of these?

5. Masterm222

Masterm222 New Member

I agree with CabinFever, DO NOT drill holes in your frame! You can buy exhaust clamps at your local auto parts store. Vice, hammer, and drill are the only tools you will need to shape a piece of steel to adapt your motor to your bike. Cool bike, I would do a Sick Bike parts shift kit and take advantage of the multi-speed hub. Never used one with internal geared hub but there is nothing like taking off from a stop light without pedal assist and shifting gears!

6. RCinAL

RCinAL New Member

Thanks for the compliments on my bike, but the brake situation (see my 2 posts just before this one) really has me bummed. After surfing this forum really good I think decent brakes are essential and I want them. Engine mount + good brake setup + all the custom fabrication required to have it on this bike = an entire new bike with decent brakes and an engine kit.

I wouldn't be concerned at all about the jack shaft with the Nexus hub though, except for the added cost.

I think it will be much easier, faster, and cheaper just to get another bike and start from scratch. I'm now researchibg bikes to decide which will be cheaper, easier to mod, and will make a better total package. I already know it won't be nearly as cool though. :(

Ralph

7. Antihista

Antihista New Member

well since no one pointed this out. I have a electra coaster,and so does my father and i am sure you have noticed our bikes have a min of a 6" stretch to them. drilling a aluminum frame is a big don't, you really want to isolate engine vibration's if you don't you WILL crack the frame. i would really recommend a rack mount engine. and as far as the nexus hub holding out i have already rebuilt my coaster brake hub twice with about 200 miles

8. Antihista

Antihista New Member

RCinAL you are right in choosing a different bike the electras are really hard to mount a engine in them Jim's mounts will not work in the frame because they flex to much and WILL crack like i said a friction drive really would be your best option

9. RCinAL

RCinAL New Member

Thanks Antihista, I agree about the problems with this build too, but I wouldn't mount a ugly friction drive engine to this beautiful bike. I'll just keep it the way it is. I do want a bike with the low seat and forward pedals if possible though. I am now spoiled rotten on this comfortable set up. I'll just stick to the traditional drive system now that I have advice against using a jack shaft with the Nexus hub. It works fine for peddaling.

I did see a beautiful aluminum-framed Electra Coaster build on this forum. (yours?) It was silver and had what appeared to be the Manic Mechanic engine mount and looked totally trustworthy. It had an aluminum plate clamped between the rear frame rails with a skateboard wheel for a chain tensioner. I can't seem to find it now, but I was considering one just like it if I could figure out a way to put brakes up front. I think the Coaster is also offered in a steel framed version. That would probably be the one to get if front brakes are available. I'll be dropping by my local dealer to inquire about this.

A friend of mine has a 2009 aluminum-framed Coaster with a springer front end that is motorized. He has a old, German-made Sachs rear hub gasoline engine on it. It is pretty cool. He has no front brake but his engine is small and only goes about 15 MPH so he doesn't worry about it. With a 69cc engine I definitely have decided I want good brakes.

Ralph

10. Antihista

Antihista New Member

both of the electra aluminum coasters that you saw belong to me and my dad, the aluminum mount from jim broke on both bikes. but jim's rear sproket and hub adapter are really nice and i would definably recommended that