Help me get more power...

GoldenMotor.com

jmden

Jun 14, 2017
IMG_4109.JPG

What can I do to this to get a noticeable increase in power?

That's a 6.0cc Fred Head on top and really need the cooling that gives. Maybe his new 5.3cc? Would that really make much of a difference?

The thing that works this the hardest is towing a 80-100 lb trailer up logging roads and such. That's what I need the power for.

SBP Jackshaft shift kit has all the lowest gearing. 30 tooth front chainring goes to a 11-34 rear cassette, so a pretty good range there (this is an old steel frame with 6 sp freewheel, so I spread the rear from 125mm to 135mm [Subaru screw jack worked great] and put on a modern sized wheel/axle with 7 sp 11-34 cassette--working great so far).

I've done some port matching. Not sure if there's a better exhaust that would make a huge difference without being some 4' long behemoth. Better intake/carb?

Also, something I seem to notice regularly is when I twist the throttle to full throttle, past a certain point, the engine bogs down. It's like it's getting too much fuel or too much air or something. Same thing with two different 'stock' carbs, so... Wonder if i could solve that if part of my power problem would be solved.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Jon

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hey, howdy Jon. Welcome!

Yer gonna throw tools at me but If I were towing that much, I would definitely swap and go 4 smoke. China Girls are amazing lol power plants but just not enough umph for what you'd like, me thinks.

A 4 stroke will have more power. What, and just a thought, a puser/trailer? Then you'd have a ton of umph and could climb a tree (Not really, lol) at good speed if in tandem.

Sure, ya might run your self over but would make a great story.
(Don't ask we I phrased it like that, snork)

But others will have much, much better thoughts. I'm sure.

Again, welcome and great to meet ya!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh, pose this question in another thread and choice of section. Will get seen by more folks and long time members will see it as another members, forummate and not a hit and run requesting help never to be heard from again. Nothing wrong with that but takes effort to help and ya never know if the problem was resolved or you came up with some thing really cool, work-around.

Some amazing, amazing engineers, fabricators and Wrenchs here. Literally a few thousand years of experience, trial and error. Can find just about everything ya might need to help.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
2 stroke or general, I would try, Jon.

Also lots of tip and tricks already posted.

Please put a link here so I'm sure to find.

stock762

Jun 7, 2017
You said you were bogging down at full throttle twist...You probably need to jet your carb if you haven't yet. You would want to run it a little leaner than what you are now most likely running too rich.

Reactions: Lorenzo Guevara