Hearing a squeaking sound even with engine not running

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Just earlier today after I got back from a ride, I can hear what I would describe as a squeak with the motor off and either pedaling or just rolling the bike forward or backward. What could be some causes of this? Seems like it's getting louder too. My guess is it's coming from the small drive gear under the clutch cover but I'm not totally sure that's where it's coming from. I will try to put up a short video clip tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I think I may have found what might be contributing to it. When I took the clutch cover off I noticed on the back side that faces the magneto cover it looks like the chain has been grinding away at the cover there it ground a little groove in it I don’t know if this is a normal issue with these I tried putting some grease in it to see if that helps I’ll keep you guys posted on what happens next.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Ok I’ll check it tomorrow after work. But since I never taken that nut off is it reverse threaded or regular?

Lone Wolf

Jul 28, 2021
You might also need to lubricate the chain. If it is not lubed well, it can cause it to not bend itself around the gear properly. That could also be the reason it is digging into the cover.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
The nut is right hand thread as is normal. The chain shouldn’t touch the cover at all.