Greetings from the Great White North! Build tips? Ehh

GoldenMotor.com

Beaufort Roller

Oct 21, 2019
Beaufort SC
Background, going into semi-retirement and have been told to get a hobby and this one sounds the best to me. I have spent the last few days on the net trying to figure out what kind of bike to put together for my first build. I want it to be somewhat of a “order the parts, put it together, start riding”. I look forward to doing more of a custom one later. But, for the first one I am leaning on the:
-Micargi 26" Huntington Beach Cruiser and the 4 Stroke 79cc monster 90 engine kit, The beast

I’m up north working and will order everything I need so that when I’m off at Christmas in South Carolina for a few weeks I will have something to do. I would hate to miss out on ordering something I would need and not be able to complete the ride. I put together a list of extras to order, but would appreciate any advice on anything I may have missed. Until then I will navigate through the posts and see what I can learn.

-Wide Crank Assembly
-4 Stroke engine kit, The beast
-Idler pully upgrade

I’m also doing some research on springer forks and front disk brakes. I’m not afraid of putting a few bucks into this one to make it safe and durable, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Safe riding!

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome to the fun Mark.

Good advice given to this point and I'd add this to consider. The Monark II is a good fork I've used them, but I prefer the Sunlite version as heavier duty and it has disc caliper posts built into the post, no need for the adapter...gives a cleaner & more finished look to the disc caliper install on the starboard fork leg & a shorter brake cable run from the brake lever which doesn't cross over to reach the brake caliper. Just a better design fork that's very strong, works well and costs less.

I use Avid brakes and components on my bikes. Most disc compatible cruiser rotors use the Avid rotor bolt pattern. Remember to buy the correct "standoff" adapter to match the size rotor you purchase i.e. 203 mm rotor requires a 203mm standoff adapter to match caliper position to rotor location. I use mechanical, but hydraulic is great. Rotor size? Big stops better 160mm minimum when application permits, but 203mm stops quicker.

I never do business with those who don't accept PayPal as it's the best insurance yet to prevent getting screwed wihout remedy!

Rick C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beaufort Roller

Beaufort Roller

Oct 21, 2019
Beaufort SC
Thanks for the tips Rick!
My research on the brakes suggested as you did, I'm on the right track with that. But I haven't found the Sunlite in threaded chrome for much cheaper once delivery is included.
I still like the idea of bushings in the original Monark ll and they are US built.

Mark

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I use the Avids on my 12.5 hp 5 speed, wet clutch Simplex that's an 80 mph bike and weighs right at 190 lbs. and they work well, but I plan on a custom billet hub with dual 203mm up front as an upgrade using Avid bicycle components.

Rick C

Beaufort Roller

Oct 21, 2019
Beaufort SC
Thanks Rick, I did go with the Avid brake, and the Monark ii forks, a little disappointed that the threaded only come in black with chrome parts. Orders for all my parts have been placed, can't wait till for my Christmas break from up North to put it all together.

Cheers...80MPH...you're a mad man!

Mark

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Mark I'm certain you will be pleased with your purchases. The dual springer fork is among the best looking forks ever made and Avid makes quality components.

Now a confession: the combined time I've spent at 80 mph on both my bikes that will do this speed, consists of less than 3 minutes total riding time, and that over the last 3 or 4 years. Those runs were conducted on a runway, not public roads. My average high speed is normally under 50 on these bikes and even then not often. My avitar shows me with one of these bikes, the HD. I suppose that I am a bit daft when it comes to these little bikes, but one does have to treat them with great respect lest they hurt you!

Rick C.

Reactions: kelly dean

waynesdata

Jul 10, 2017
I use the Avids on my 12.5 hp 5 speed, wet clutch Simplex that's an 80 mph bike and weighs right at 190 lbs. and they work well, but I plan on a custom billet hub with dual 203mm up front as an upgrade using Avid bicycle components.

Rick C
Google says Simplex was a motorcycle company? Can you get tags on that? Would love to have a old school ride but have wanted a Kawasaki Vulcan S for some time.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Google says Simplex was a motorcycle company? Can you get tags on that? Would love to have a old school ride but have wanted a Kawasaki Vulcan S for some time.
Sure can Wayne the serial number for the frame is under the front of the frames neck on their later bikes. These were light motorcycles and not mo-peds...never had pedals, though I added operational pedals on my custom frame. The serial number on the neck and the flat seat spring are the only original Simplex parts remaining on my custom.

Rick C.