Gone Legal in Ohio?

GoldenMotor.com

SpiderSpartan

Jul 29, 2008
Cincinnati
Has anyone gone legal in Ohio? I've read all the codes and seems like a lot of stuff to get in order. I'm just looking to ride my bike at 5 miles back and forth between classes, but I don't want to get ticketed or have to run from the cops on the way.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I'm compliant with the BMV laws.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/pdf_forms/4865.pdf

Defining some Ohio (Ahio) terms here.....Moped is a vehicle that's factory built. A bicycle with a motor on it is a "motorized bike" or bike with a "helper motor". The motor has to be less than 50cc, less than 1 hp, operate within 3 ft to the right edge of the road, have two wheels in tandem or one in front and two behind arranged side by side as a "trike". Not excede 20 mph on level ground, The motor bike must have a licensed and not carry anyone beside the driver. A helment with chin strap (if under 18) & rear view mirror are required safety equipment as with having a head light & tail light. A regular Ohio drivers operators license is all that is required. Insurance is not required. The bike must have pedals and be able to be operated by human power. If one can find a turn signal kit to install that would be the best elective option for those at the BMV who examine the bike where you buy your bikes license plate.

The problems I've had are with the women at the license office who don't know, or don't want to know about any of this stuff. They want to "call it in"
to Columbus, Ohio to someone there to "decide" for them. If they tell them what to do then.....it's cool. Then you get to run the gambit with local cops,
sheriff's deputies, and Hot Shot rookie State Troopers. (who are sent to my end of the state to get some experience to go with their training in a fairly non threatening environment before being assigned to areas like Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo, Cincinnati, and other areas) We crazy hillbillies around here buff the Ol' Academy "gung ho" off them within a few months so they can truely settle into becoming Ohio's Finest. :D

SpiderSpartan

Jul 29, 2008
Cincinnati
Everything I've seen basically says that a motorized bike is the same as a moped in Ohio. So do yo actually have plates for your motored bike eDJ? I don't think that I'd be able to get plates for mine anymore without at least replacing the pedals.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Yeah, I printed out the info in the link above. Had some hassles with the ladies at the license plate place cause they have little or no experience with this sort of stuff. They have to call it in to Columbus on the 800 to ask for help.

On the bottom of the page on that link above..........there is a list of "moped's" Ohio will license. If it ain't on that list.....no license.

So......don't make the mistake of referring to your "motorized bicycle" as a "moped" or you're sunk. It's a bicycle with a "helper motor". (whether purchased as a kit from China, Japan, Italy, or elsewhere.......or a Do It Yourself project using a string trimmer or chain saw motor)

I intend to ride with a printed out copy of that BMV link above so if some "officer" tell me right off the cuff.........."Hey that ain't legal" ! I'll show him the 4865 Code and point to the license plate I purchased at the state BMV office. Then quickly switch the subject to trying to save some money on my fuel cost so I can afford to pay my Property Taxes....so the local Villages and Towns will have money to stay in business and not be taken over by the County Commissioners. (where the whole county would go back to a centralized government and he would likely be laid off)

Lancer

Mar 28, 2009
Fremont, Ohio
eDJ
I'm a noob here and to motorized bikes.
The link you posted is dead. I'm trying to understand Ohio law. Can you post here?
Thanks

I'm compliant with the BMV laws.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/pdf_forms/4865.pdf

Defining some Ohio (Ahio) terms here.....Moped is a vehicle that's factory built. A bicycle with a motor on it is a "motorized bike" or bike with a "helper motor". The motor has to be less than 50cc, less than 1 hp, operate within 3 ft to the right edge of the road, have two wheels in tandem or one in front and two behind arranged side by side as a "trike". Not excede 20 mph on level ground, The motor bike must have a licensed and not carry anyone beside the driver. A helment with chin strap (if under 18) & rear view mirror are required safety equipment as with having a head light & tail light. A regular Ohio drivers operators license is all that is required. Insurance is not required. The bike must have pedals and be able to be operated by human power. If one can find a turn signal kit to install that would be the best elective option for those at the BMV who examine the bike where you buy your bikes license plate.

The problems I've had are with the women at the license office who don't know, or don't want to know about any of this stuff. They want to "call it in"
to Columbus, Ohio to someone there to "decide" for them. If they tell them what to do then.....it's cool. Then you get to run the gambit with local cops,
sheriff's deputies, and Hot Shot rookie State Troopers. (who are sent to my end of the state to get some experience to go with their training in a fairly non threatening environment before being assigned to areas like Columbus, Cleveland, Toledo, Cincinnati, and other areas) We crazy hillbillies around here buff the Ol' Academy "gung ho" off them within a few months so they can truely settle into becoming Ohio's Finest. :D

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Try this link, it should work for ya:

Ohio Moped laws

I have the print out of the owners manual for my motor now showing it's less than 50cc, less than 1 hp
is only one foreward speed.....and that it was sold here in America by SEARS !

I suggest you have a reciept for your bicycle where you purchased it. Same with your motor.

The BMV people will want it and then want to call Columbus Ohio and ask them what to do.

....and SS, yes it does have to have pedals or it will be considered a
motorcycle.

Last edited:

Lancer

Mar 28, 2009
Fremont, Ohio
eDJ
Thanks for helping a noob out, I very much appreciate it.

I see no distinction in the law in regard to the difference between a Moped and a "bike with a helper motor". Referring to it as a "bike with a helper motor" is just a way to get around the approved list when is home built? Do I have this right?

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Yes you are quite right. There are some reasons Ohio has it's laws written this way though.

Over the years there have been bikes built by Suzuki, Yamaha, and others that look quite like
mopeds but they don't have a pedal drive system and totally rely on the motor for propulsion.
These have even been sold as "mopeds".

Ohio says those are actually small motorcycles. (Ohio reqires them to be titled, license, and insured
just as a motorcycle and the owner must have the "M" stamped on your personal operators license)

Mopeds Ohio recognizes are posted on a list in the BMV web site. If it isn't on that list, even if it was a
factory built moped, you can't license it as a "moped" in Ohio. If it is on the list, you won't be required to have
the "M" stamp on your personal operators license.

Bicycles with helper motors have to conform to the list of limitations. You won't have to have
the "M" stamp on your personal license and you DO NOT have to purchase insurance on the
motorized bicycle. But your bicycle still has to have the pedals, sprockets & chain so it can be operated by human power.

To get the "M" stamp on your personal operators license, you have to take a bike to a designated
motorcycle testing facility and take an operating test on a small track which is like a maze. If you
pass, you get the "M" stamp. On taking your regular drivers license test you will likely need to tell them
that you want to operate your motorcycle and they will set you up for the test and appointment
time and location. I have the "M" stamp on my license as I have riden motorcycles in the past.
Every 4 years when you renue your license you have to make sure to tell the ladies at the BMV
to make sure to carry the "M" over on your new license. (if they get careless and forget to
to do it, you'll have to take the test over again)

The advantage of having the "M" is that if a Cop pulls you over he will know as soon as he looks
at your license that you know what you are doing. He may have questions about your bicycle with the motor on it though. (so it may be worth carrying a xerox copy of the BMV's guidelines to show
that your bike complies with everything.

Bikes like this one are often called "mopeds" advertised as "mopeds" and sold as "mopeds" but you don't see pedals on it. In Ohio that makes it a Motorcycle, so if you're pulled over the Police will look for
the "M" stamp, and ask for regristration and proof of Insurance.

Last edited:

ra42mario

Jul 26, 2009
ohio
eDJ I don't understand how you got a license plate. Here is the link for the Code 4865.

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv4865.pdf

It says a moped is any vehicle with two wheels that has a helper motor. That is what our motorized bicycles have. THen below it says if its not on the list you aren't getting a plate.

So how did you get a plate? Can you be more in depth your post is confusing. I really want a plate for my bicycle thanks!

SprungersSprocket

Dec 18, 2009
OHIO
So yes, if you go under 20 mph this is true. But, be careful. After 25mph you become a Motorcycle in the eyes of the law. Honestly, I don't think that any cop is going to blink an eye as long as you're being safe...or if they just want a closer look. I personally got insurance for my bike since it's top speed is around 27mph and with small tweaks it's slowly climbing. (Changing the gear ratio to add another 10mph.) I had to list it under a Custom 'Chopper' with my insurance company but they didn't seem to care that my VIN# had 9 zeros at the end. (used the bike's serial #)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You are not going to license a motorized bike in Ohio, unless it's on the "approved" list, which it isn't. eDJ didn't say he got a plate, he was explaining how you would need a motorcycle endorsement on your license if you did, which you can't.

Just ride.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The only "approved" motorized bike is the Wildfire, and expensive version that is exactly like you'd build on your own, except they have gone through all the B.S. and legal hoops to get their bike "approved".

Trust me, it's not worth the hassle.

bobbarob75

Dec 21, 2009
Cincy/fairfield
These laws are so stupid. I don't know why they would care. I wanna get a motorized bike so i can get back and fourth to a job when i get one cause god knows the public transport here sucks cincinnati. And child support takes your license if ya fart toward downtown so i don't know what to do. Maybe just get a 80cc and say heck with it. Is there a super quiet exhaust out there. In oregon i would cruise down hills going 35-38 mph in 25 zones and never had a bit of problems on a pedal bike. Yet here even if i'm where i need to be on the road cops still ask me why i'm riding in the middle of the street. I hate this place..........sorry had to rant a minute

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
OK I just got my kit and I'm not going to worry about Ohio (Cincinnati cops)) third guys are gonna worry about much bigger things like the drug dealers and prostitutes...just recently the mayor tryed to get 50 drugies to come and talk to him and the sheriff to help get dealers off the street. I should deffently get a license and I know all the laws but even so I can't get my engine kit legalized anyways...any concerns anyone?.duh.