GoldenMotor.com

Captain Rainmaker

Mar 22, 2020
Hey guys. Wanted to show off my current build:

It started off looking like this:
1614220884542.png

But then this happened:
1614220932360.png

So one thing led to another, and now it looks like this.
1614220670778.png

Still a couple little things to button up, but she should be back on the road real soon. I also have a whole electrical setup ready to go on, but I'll leave that until after it's running.

Mods list:
-Monark Type II springer fork with disc brake adapter
-TRP HY/RD hydraulic-mechanical brake caliper with 160mm rotor
-No-name billet aluminum head
-No-name MZ65 replica
-DIO reed valve
-19mm OKO carb (a genuine OKO, not a knockoff)
-Windowed piston
-Sick Bike Parts shifter kit
-Sick Bike Parts front motor mount
-Cloud9 springer seat

Further plans:
-Different gas tank, probably a Whizzer tank
-Sturmey Archer internal gear hub, for a couple reasons: The ratios on the seven-speed derailleur are really close together, and I've been screwed a couple times by the chain coming off and either tying itself in knots or snapping. With an IGH, I could run a stouter chain that would stay in place. Also the rear rim brake isn't really giving me the warm fuzzies; it was barely adequate with the stock motor, and now it's not a stock motor anymore. I'd rather not mess with adding a disc caliper mount to my frame, but based on my research, a 90mm drum brake should be an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyler6357

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
If you get a freewheel with a 2 stage hub and lock ring you can put the following sprockets on it 34,28,22,16 yes that's 666 on the spacing between the 4 sprockets. You'll have to put a spacer on the hub before the 34t sprocket goes on. Then you'll need to grind the teeth off two 14t sprockets for the end before putting the lock ring back on.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The 4 speed 34-16 freewheel would reduce the amount of cross chaining. For chains I recommend the following: Shimano HG 71, Sram 890, KMC X8.99. Just suggesting a possible and cheaper option than an IGH.

Captain Rainmaker

Mar 22, 2020
1622317345438.png

Long overdue update.

-Sourced a Sturmey wheel, from a scrapped rental bike. Was an absolute mission to get all the little bits and bobs to mount it and get it working, but I managed. Also now has 415HD chain driving the wheel, which was one of my big reasons to make this upgrade.
-Dual-leg kickstand. This thing is money. Roadside fixes and adjustments are now a breeze.
-The odd mounting angle was causing the HY/RD to not function properly, so I've opted for an Avid BB7 up front instead. The HY/RD wound up on my non-motorized Kona, which I may or may not electrify one of these days.
-Jaguar's CDI.
-Slightly different rear rack. The clamp-on rack was too wobbly and rattley for my liking, and the frame already had braze-ons for a bolt-on rack, so I made the switch. The top case is now also half a foot lower so getting on the bike is now a lot easier.

Next major plan is a full electrical system (headlights, taillights, turn signals, brake light, horn, battery, mini-gen) but for right now I'm perfectly content to just bask in my accomplishment and enjoy it as is.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry