Fuel petcock - thread pitch

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by Rusty_S85, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Rusty_S85

Rusty_S85 Member

Ive made great progress on my GT2A Skyhawk frame and I am looking at petcocks right now but I cant find what thread the tank is.

I asked on another forum and I am hearing different things. One said M10x1.0, another claims 1/8" MIP. I did some reading online saw another claim M10x1.50.

So does anyone here know what the thread pitch is on the GT2A Skyhawk frames? I emailed Don earlier tonight but didn't get a reply.

2. Rusty_S85

Rusty_S85 Member

Well found out the closest that will work is 1/8" MIP. Which is also the same as 1/8" NPT since NPT is backwards compatible.

Down side is the aluminum threads on my bike aren't good so I had to manually thread it in. I got a new 1/8" hex head brass nipple coming in that I will thread in till the hex head bottoms against the frame. This will be the base for mounting my sediment bowl filter with integrated shut off valve. If I cant use it when I go to mount the engine I can swap it out for a female threaded fuel shut off valve.

I just hate aluminum threads as they don't last if you insert and remove multiple times which will happen if you have to replace the shut off for not shutting off.

3. sportscarpat

sportscarpat Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker

I have built lots of gas tanks and use an M10 x 1.0 nut for the petcock mount. This will accept the kit petcock size of M10 x 1.0 or an 1/8 NPT petcock.