front tires and their effects on wobbling at "high" speeds

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by tire, Oct 5, 2010.

1. tire

tire New Member

there are a lot of things that it could be. the suspension didn't start with this frame, and the wheel is from another bike, a new innertube, and a crappy bell tire.

the wobble isn't a wobble per say. it may be a future-wobble. it wasn't noticeable at 20-25mph the one mile i was able to ride the bike. under peddle power, down a hill especially, it seems to weave, pull leffftttt... then riiiiightt...

i am having a friend mechanic double check pretty much my entire installation. i want the motor to have as much power available as possible, as the add-ons will cause it to gain another 20+ lbs (ammo can saddle bags, etc. :) )

when i get the bike back i'll see what's what with the tire, and probably replace the front wheel entirely just to eliminate that.

2. Ted

Ted New Member

Have him take a hard look at the steering head bearings, their easy to take out and inspect, you may just need new bearings, use a light and look at the races, if there's any kind of a indentation replace them, might be a good idea to just replace them and be done with it.

3. WildAlaskan

WildAlaskan New Member

diddo on bearing i just put new bearings and grease in my steering thingy majigy bearing seat and so smooth really juts buy a new wheel comes true and install a nice quality tire smooth is best for higher speeds and less vibration they arent that expensive you dont need high quality for front tire just make sure it has good bearings in it

oh andit only cost like six bucks witch i thought was pricey for a a set of bearings but everything cost more in ak

#23 WildAlaskan, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. reb1

reb1 New Member

More than a few somebodies did including me. The three bicycle shops I worked in required you to put the wheel reflectors opposite the valve stem and quite a few customers whom I would guess had bought there bicycles from one of those other shops who randomly placed the wheel reflectors anywhere they felt like also complained about discomfort at high speed until the wheel reflectors were moved or discarded. These were usually people with the lightweight bicycles who rode many miles. Some including myself refuse to use wheel reflectors. The problem is only noticeable at high speed.

5. Nashville Kat

Nashville Kat Active Member

Yep- if it changes direction of natural steer- then that sounds like headset bearings- try some new balls.

6. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

if your headset is to tight, it'll steer funky.

7. tire

tire New Member

once the rear deck is welded and saddle bags mounted i'll take it to a good bike shop in town and have the guy diagnose it.