Frame modification question.

GoldenMotor.com

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
My first attempt at getting a bike motorized and on the road was scrapped because of some problems I ran into. While disassembling the bike I discovered that the neck stem and steering tube were irreparably rusted together and I ended up removing the forks with a hacksaw. I figured I could get replacement from the local bike co-op. However it turns out that the steering tube length was an odd one (230 mm) and I couldn't find a replacement. I would eventually like to get back to this project and I was wondering if it is possible to modify the head tube to accept a different type of fork? I'm thinking a springer type. The head tube is currently 6 inches without the head set. How much shorter than the steering tube length would I have to trim it to so another fork would fit? Thanks!

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I would not shorten the head tube unless I had a set of head tube mills. The top and bottom must be perfectly parallel and square for a headset to work properly and most importantly to keep adjusted. The steering tube is 7 1/2 " on the link above and that should work fine. Then again I just figured out the 230 mm and that is 15 inches, but that was the old steering tube? No the 7 1/2 steer tube will work with the 6" head tube you have. Almost any replacement fork will have that length.