Florida law - registration required!!!

GoldenMotor.com

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
jesus Francis.....Dont you ever shut up. Say something new or produce a document from an OFFICIAL. (Not a secretary)
That information came straight from the executive director of the DMV and her direct subordinate...
it was only typed up by a secretary...
If you don't believe me, call up the number on that document and ask where the info comes from, and if you don't believe THAT person, ask to speak with Sandra Lambert (the executive director's direct subordinate)..

How about adding a CONSTRUCTIVE post instead of a personal attack..

TxBikeRider

Aug 7, 2010
Texas
That information came straight from the executive director of the DMV and her direct subordinate...
it was only typed up by a secretary...
If you don't believe me, call up the number on that document and ask where the info comes from, and if you don't believe THAT person, ask to speak with Sandra Lambert (the executive director's direct subordinate)..

How about adding a CONSTRUCTIVE post instead of a personal attack..
Nothing personal......we both know I could do that, but I will not post your relationship links.....Just asking you to let the horse become glue. I am tired of you beating it. I am researching for rides from Hernando to Weeki Wachee. I thought it would be cool to combine manatee watching with bike rides. (move is happening sooner than I thought)

You do not help by regurgitating the same things you posted here and on many other sites.....really, at least cut out the cut and paste and at lest make each post original.

IamTheBear

Oct 6, 2010
north florida
The Idea of a Florida long distance ride would great. Tx is right by just repeating yourself all you have managed to do is repeat yourself. Laws will never be changed just at the whim of one person. It takes a community to come together for that to happen. We need to come to an understanding of what we think is wrong with the laws. How we can change them. Why they should be changed. Most of all this needs to happen as group, with clear cut answers. This would solve the gray area we fight with ( also the red and blue flashy area ).

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
However, the PERSONAL ATTACKS MUST STOP....
Not ONCE have I EVER attacked anyone personally, and I'm sick and tired of being attacked..
End all is....
If you ride a gas powered bike, eventually you will be ticketed..
95% of the time, it will be dismissed, but the defendants are told afterwards NOT to ride..
How about some proactiveness and not taking the chance in the first place...
OR.. Contact your local law enforcement and ask their OPINION on your gas bike..
I'm no longer going to respond to a personal attack, I will just flag the posts and let the admins sort it out..

If you don't like what I'm saying, too bad.. Deal with it.. It's called freedom of speech...
Some of you will fight tooth and nail about mab laws, but when it comes to the other freedoms we have, you just don't care...
This is a DISCUSSION BOARD.. NOT a "throw a personal attack at someone just because you don't like what they're stating.
End of line.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
And you won't come to a meeting on this issue because....what? Now I remember, because it isn't in your county. You said "How about some proactiveness.....". How about showing some your self.

Terry

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
And you won't come to a meeting on this issue because....what? Now I remember, because it isn't in your county. You said "How about some proactiveness.....". How about showing some your self.

Terry
And how would I get to anywhere north of me at 100+ miles? If someone wants to pick me up in west palm beach and drive me. I'll be more than happy. However.. Anything past 100+ miles is just not feasible...

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Bumping my own thread!

I didnt call this particular sheriffs office, but the following link is under "Whats New".

http://www.stluciesheriff.com/pdf/Bike_Motorcycle_Reqs.pdf

Assuming this is recent and correct, (and we ALL know its not right to assume):
A. REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
B. A VALID DL IS REQUIRED
C. YOU CAN LEGALLY RIDE ON PUBLIC ROADWAYS!

Any FL MBer want to call this Sheriffs Dept. to see when this was published?
(Be sure to get their name and title, and preferrably get all of the above confirmed by written response, email or snail mail for the benefit of the MB Community)

I look forward to the forums comments.

:)

P.S. Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Ride That Thing!!!

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Hi All,

I contacted St. Lucie County Sheriffs Office, and this is their (email) response as of today 3/7/12 (copy and pasted), and just confirmed via phone conversation:

“Mark Weinberg
Public Information Officer
Ken J. Mascara, Sheriff of St. Lucie County, Florida
St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office
4700 West Midway Road
Fort Pierce, FL 34981-4825
http://www.stluciesheriff.com
772-201-0264
[email protected]
Sir:
I researched the questions you asked me in our phone conversation earlier today.
The pamphlet “Basic requirements bicycles to motorcycles” that is available at the St. Lucie County Sheriff’s Office website http://www.stluciesheriff.com is up to date and accurate.
It was written in 2011.
The laws the pamphlet refers to have not changed for the last several years.
The relevant Florida statutes are listed by statute number and subject in the pamphlet.”
(end of quote)

Although this appears to be the case, I still think this is a grey area.

I look forward to the forums constructive comments.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
What did you ask him, specifically over the phone?

You only showed his email response to questions you didn't post here..
Hey Sang,

a. I asked @ 3/3/12
b. The questions I asked were:
1. When was this published? Month and year
2. Is the pamphlet up to date?
3. Can you provide specific statutes to refer to?

Any news on your end?

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Won't get a response until Monday, I'm sure..

I also sent them a copy of the DMV letter that was sent to me...

We'll find out what they say..

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Here is the e-mail I received from Mr. Weinberg's Supervisor..

Greetings,
Your email was forwarded to me to try and assist.
Just to be clear, the flier is meant to be a quick reference guide to the laws provided by the state of Florida governing the specific vehicles ranging from the simplest pedal powered bicycles to the Motorcycle.* The flier was not meant to go into depth on the topics, just a simple quick guide. *The flier also reflects the same laws as the lesser defined Florida Department of Transportation's most recent Quick Reference Guide that is supplied to law enforcement. With the increase of motorists losing their licenses for various reasons ranging from civil, financial, and criminal in nature issues, we have received many questions from civilians on this matter just as we have encountered many trying to skirt the law.* That was the whole reason for the flier to be made so to keep the public as well informed as possible.
The Florida State Statute recognizes a bicycle as pedal powered and possibly assisted with an electric motor that will not propel it faster than 20mph.* Combustion engines are not covered under the Florida law on bicycles so they are not considered bicycles and they then fall under the rules by definition of mopeds.* Once the bicycle is powered by an internal combustion powered engine, it no longer falls under the same definition of a bicycle and now meets the criteria of a Moped as seen in FSS.* Below I have included information on the topic that might assist you with further research if desired.
Florida State Statutes
316.003 Definitions
(2) BICYCLE.—Every vehicle propelled solely by human power, and every motorized bicycle propelled by a combination of human power and an electric helper motor capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on level ground upon which any person may ride, having two tandem wheels, and including any device generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two rear wheels. The term does not include such a vehicle with a seat height of no more than 25 inches from the ground when the seat is adjusted to its highest position or a scooter or similar device. No person under the age of 16 may operate or ride upon a motorized bicycle.
(77) MOPED.—Any vehicle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels; with a motor rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and not capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground; and with a power-drive system that functions directly or automatically without clutching or shifting gears by the operator after the drive system is engaged. If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement may not exceed 50 cubic centimeters.
The flier then states that the gasoline powered bike now is the same as a moped noted with an asterisk next to it.
The asterisk then refers to the bottom of the flier explaining that per Florida law (which can be found under 316.460 Equipment regulations for mopeds.* No person may operate a moped that does not conform to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards relating to lights and safety and other equipment contained in Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.*
Now if you want to add the motor to a bike and present it to the proper authorities that federally regulate and inspect the production of vehicles and if you receive an approval that the vehicle meets all the criteria, they may issue a number and permit for the vehicle to be considered production and for title.* This must then be taken to the appropriate agency for consideration which may allow for it to be titled and possibly registered.* This process will more than likely take years for approval.
This required process basically will keep any bicycle powered by an engine or motor, homemade built and not mass produced, from being recognized as a moped and the Tax Office will follow the same ruling and not issue a registration.* So if you have a gasoline engine mounted on your bicycle, to stay within the law you basically can only ride it on private property with the owner's permission and not on the roadways, bike lanes, or *the sidewalks maintained by the cities, counties, and state.
For further federal information:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has established safety standards by which all vehicles
used on a highway must be constructed. The Federal Code of Regulations Title 49, Part 567, requires the
manufacturer to place a label on the vehicle indicating compliance with these safety regulations. Below is the link for this site if you wish to read on.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/maninfo/mcpkg002.pdf
I hope this assists you.

Thoughts, WorkmanFL?

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Here is the e-mail I received from Mr. Weinberg's Supervisor..

Greetings,
Your email was forwarded to me to try and assist.
Just to be clear, the flier is meant to be a quick reference guide to the laws provided by the state of Florida governing the specific vehicles ranging from the simplest pedal powered bicycles to the Motorcycle.* The flier was not meant to go into depth on the topics, just a simple quick guide. *The flier also reflects the same laws as the lesser defined Florida Department of Transportation's most recent Quick Reference Guide that is supplied to law enforcement. With the increase of motorists losing their licenses for various reasons ranging from civil, financial, and criminal in nature issues, we have received many questions from civilians on this matter just as we have encountered many trying to skirt the law.* That was the whole reason for the flier to be made so to keep the public as well informed as possible.
The Florida State Statute recognizes a bicycle as pedal powered and possibly assisted with an electric motor that will not propel it faster than 20mph.* Combustion engines are not covered under the Florida law on bicycles so they are not considered bicycles and they then fall under the rules by definition of mopeds.* Once the bicycle is powered by an internal combustion powered engine, it no longer falls under the same definition of a bicycle and now meets the criteria of a Moped as seen in FSS.* Below I have included information on the topic that might assist you with further research if desired.

The flier then states that the gasoline powered bike now is the same as a moped noted with an asterisk next to it.
The asterisk then refers to the bottom of the flier explaining that per Florida law (which can be found under 316.460 Equipment regulations for mopeds.* No person may operate a moped that does not conform to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards relating to lights and safety and other equipment contained in Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.*
Now if you want to add the motor to a bike and present it to the proper authorities that federally regulate and inspect the production of vehicles and if you receive an approval that the vehicle meets all the criteria, they may issue a number and permit for the vehicle to be considered production and for title.* This must then be taken to the appropriate agency for consideration which may allow for it to be titled and possibly registered.* This process will more than likely take years for approval.
This required process basically will keep any bicycle powered by an engine or motor, homemade built and not mass produced, from being recognized as a moped and the Tax Office will follow the same ruling and not issue a registration.* So if you have a gasoline engine mounted on your bicycle, to stay within the law you basically can only ride it on private property with the owner's permission and not on the roadways, bike lanes, or *the sidewalks maintained by the cities, counties, and state.
For further federal information:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has established safety standards by which all vehicles
used on a highway must be constructed. The Federal Code of Regulations Title 49, Part 567, requires the
manufacturer to place a label on the vehicle indicating compliance with these safety regulations. Below is the link for this site if you wish to read on.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/maninfo/mcpkg002.pdf
I hope this assists you.

Thoughts, WorkmanFL?
My gut feel/ thoughts:

A. is that the above is correct, and the flyer on the topic by St. Lucie County FL Sheriffs Dept MAY unfortunately need to be amended.

B. Those Gas MBers who registered them legitimately years ago as Mopeds at the time of registration are grandfathered in.

ADD:
And its STILL A GREY AREA, (for some Gas MB - Moped Individuals) because of the DOT Issues not having been dealt with at the time of registration.
(End of Add)

C. It would be great if the word "electric" would be removed from the statutes, I guess we are all still waiting on Jeff Arnetts efforts and the MB Community to having the law amended. (no reg, no plate, no licence)

I am not an Attorney, but thats my 2 cents.

What do you think Sang?

Last edited:

jowens

Jul 25, 2011
Webster Fl
I think nothing...

I, like you, am waiting for Jeff to get anywhere...

Haven't heard from him...

Anyone heard anything yet?
No ones heard anything from Arnette. The funny thing about that is, about the same time he was supposed to have who ever it was he had pushing for the change in the statute, he went completely out of buisiness without warning or explanation. Brings further questions to my mind. Anyhow I would love to see that little word removed from statute 316.03 also.