Five stroke bicycle engine concept?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by xXNightRiderXx, Mar 30, 2017.

1. xXNightRiderXx

Has anyone ever heard of a five stroke engine? Sounds crazy, right? Wrong. It is perhaps the most genius thing I've ever heard of! A five stroke engine is basically a four stroke engine with a separate cylinder that acts as an expansion chamber, but instead of just drawing gasses out of the cylinder, utilizes the heat of the exhaust in a fifth stroke, the extended expansion. This is a low pressure cylinder that uses the expansion of the hot exhaust gasses to add another power stroke, improving the efficiency and power to weight ratio of the engine. Now, what if someone put one of these on a bicycle? How cool would that be?

2. Cylon

Cylon Member

3. xXNightRiderXx

For cars, the slight increase in power may not be worth it, but on a bike, where there is much less weight to push, that small power increase may mean the difference between getting gold vs silver.

#3 xXNightRiderXx, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  4. Kioshk

Kioshk Active Member

I'll wait for the MiniWankel.

5. Agreen

Agreen Member

Look at Sachs KM 48 and KM 37. You can find them from time to time on eBay.

6. xseler

xseler Well-Known Member

I'm cautiously awaiting the release of the Pan 18...................it's rumored to run on fairy dust. It should be able to fly like the wind!

(I apologize for those willing to look!!)