First Time builder to replace my totaled car

GoldenMotor.com

John Griffith

Nov 22, 2018
My name is John Griffith. I live in Knoxville, TN and i just hit a deer with my compact car and it got totalled.

My wife and I had talked about going to one car anyway as i have a work van for my job and outside of work we are mostly together. But i wanted to have some kind of mobility option other than waiting on her when she has the car after work. The bus system here in knoxville is slow going and not far enough off the main highways. So i started looking into motorized bicycles.

The law here says that I have to have an automatic transmission that has a top speed of 30mph on level ground. Any more than that and ill need a motorcycle license. I am looking for a 49cc in a 4 stroke, and i do not have a bike chosen yet. I am frantically looking and researching today because i would love to buy everything on black friday and get some deals.

anyway, i work as an elevator mechanic doing new installs. I feel confident that i can figure out building from a kit.

I saw a video that shows using a cardboard template to find a bike frame that will support a 4 stroke motor. It had me cut out a 10.5" x 10.5" square and take off a corner piece to hold up in a bike frame to measure the fit. I went to walmart with my cardboard in hand and not a single 26" bike there fit the darn thing. Is that template just a little big or do i need to strictly stay on that size? I dont want to have to go to a bike shop and pay a few hundred just to modify it for a motor. I would rather get a cheap but durable frame or a used one. Where should i be looking?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hey John. Sorry for the late hello and welcome. I mostly use wally world bikes and 4 strokes. Almost all 4 smokes fit walmart cruisers. Some of the funky mid-bar ones don't but are ya sure the cut out is right? Not meaning to be a dingus here and just asking John.

Or did ya already work it out?

Side thing. Remove front fender! Search here or google. It will try to kill you. (please just trust me until you research it)

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Welcome! You have made a wise decision to join the motor bicycling hobby. These things are a blast to ride and it's super easy to avoid hitting deer on them.

junglepig

Oct 28, 2018
Georgia
My name is John Griffith. I live in Knoxville, TN and i just hit a deer with my compact car and it got totalled.

My wife and I had talked about going to one car anyway as i have a work van for my job and outside of work we are mostly together. But i wanted to have some kind of mobility option other than waiting on her when she has the car after work. The bus system here in knoxville is slow going and not far enough off the main highways. So i started looking into motorized bicycles.

The law here says that I have to have an automatic transmission that has a top speed of 30mph on level ground. Any more than that and ill need a motorcycle license. I am looking for a 49cc in a 4 stroke, and i do not have a bike chosen yet. I am frantically looking and researching today because i would love to buy everything on black friday and get some deals.

anyway, i work as an elevator mechanic doing new installs. I feel confident that i can figure out building from a kit.

I saw a video that shows using a cardboard template to find a bike frame that will support a 4 stroke motor. It had me cut out a 10.5" x 10.5" square and take off a corner piece to hold up in a bike frame to measure the fit. I went to walmart with my cardboard in hand and not a single 26" bike there fit the darn thing. Is that template just a little big or do i need to strictly stay on that size? I dont want to have to go to a bike shop and pay a few hundred just to modify it for a motor. I would rather get a cheap but durable frame or a used one. Where should i be looking?
Welcome, and good luck. Yeah, you'll have all the skills you need. Did you pick a bike yet?
I have similar laws in Georgia. I'm ignoring the top speed and cc requirement. for now. Hoping if I use all the otherwise required safety equipment and ride sensibly, I won't have problems. I'm using a 66cc ("80cc") 2-stroke, and it goes 40* mph But it also gets up hills without pedaling, and since I'm disabled, this is very important to me. You're wise to try to follow the regs though.

*I keep it around 30 though. It doesn't "like" to run 40...

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Welcome to the Forum John, ctv transmissions are available from a few kit dealers. Don't go there.
The die cast mounting plate breaks.
Do this.
Comet TAV2 Torq-A-Verter
Cheap bikes are cheap for a reason. Invest in quality bikes like Worksman or other quality builders.
If there is no cc restriction go bigger for hill climbing torque and use a good speedo or GPS so as not to break the law.
Final thought, don't skimp on wheel and brake quality.
If this bike is going to be your daily commute it will be $$$.
Or buy a 250cc motorcycle that you can license and insure

Reactions: junglepig