First Build

GoldenMotor.com

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
this is going to be my first build, hopefully one of many,

[/URL][/IMG]

At this point the needs sanding and painting. The chain is pretty rusty and it has a three speed internal hub transmission that is not connected to any kind of shift lever. It has a coaster brake which currently I like since it is reliable and I have never had one fail, at least in my younger years when I rode bikes with coaster brakes. I can't tell what type or year the bike might be. Needless to say some components are not stock on this bike.

Last edited:

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
This bike offers plenty of space for the engine if nothing else. If I had plenty of money and resources I would love to scrap all but the frame. Sand blast the frame and repaint with some decent paint and cover with a nice clear coat. Then I would purchase handle bars wheels etc. However I think I can make this thing look pretty decent with a little sandpaper and spray paint.

Here is the engine kit I will be using.

http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine-kits/gas-engine-kits/66-80cc-flying-horse-silver-angle-fire-bicycle-engine-kit-2-stroke.html

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
Well what would the first day of the build be if it wasn't filled with disappointment. My rear hub is too big for the sprocket.

My question to the group is do I make the hole bigger or get a different rear wheel? What has your experience been with these internal gear hubs? Oh also if making the hole bigger is a good idea then what is the backyard mechanic best approach for this. (actual best might be taking it to a machine shop)

The good news is that the engine fits perfectly with lots of space to spare. Guess I should have looked at my rear wheel sprocket fit before I got excited.

Other options...I have some old ten speed bikes that might be nice if they had straight handle bars. Handle bar is cheaper than rear wheel I bet. However if I go this route I'll need to buy brake levers as well. Ugh...

Also would any one want to recommend an online bike parts place...I'm kind of detecting that people don't recommend businesses here as a rule...hmm...it makes sense I guess.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
this is going to be my first build, hopefully one of many,

[/URL][/IMG]

At this point the needs sanding and painting. The chain is pretty rusty and it has a three speed internal hub transmission that is not connected to any kind of shift lever. It has a coaster brake which currently I like since it is reliable and I have never had one fail, at least in my younger years when I rode bikes with coaster brakes. I can't tell what type or year the bike might be. Needless to say some components are not stock on this bike.
Looking at the picture, looks like the shifter is a twist grip on the bars with a cable to shift

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I don't think you should abandon this bike so fast. I think it would be better to get a new rear wheel rather than switch to a road bike. The problem with road bikes is the tires are so thin, you go though tires real fast and the fatter tire you use, the better more rubber and traction you will get with the road. Motorized road bikes have been done successfully but I would prefer a mountain or a cruiser bike. You will need to get brakes. You shouldn't only rely on a coaster break because they are not meant to produce the stopping power you need on a motorized bicycle. You should have both front and rear breaks no matter what bike you choose. Check craigs list for cheap bicycle parts, you could be surprised what you might find.

brnot

totalnewb

Jun 19, 2016
Flemingsburg, Kentucky
That would be awesome since I will be saving this bike for a future build. I hesitate to make the hole bigger unless I can do so with precision equipment. Since I currently do not have access to this I built my fist kit on another bike.