First build (Worksman)

GoldenMotor.com

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
Double checked all wheel bolts and chains....
Both front and rear brakes working....
Added 24:1 fuel to tank....opened fuel valve smooth flow to new filter (no leaks in thank so far)
Pedaled the bike to end of driveway....released the clutch...put put put...didn't start. Pedaled to the end of the driveway (a little faster) released the clutch.....put putt putt vrrrroooooom! Holy smokes...this thing actually works!

First ride was a short one....in the 40's here snowed this morning ground is still a little wet. Ok now for some adjustments bike wants to take off on is't own without much use of the throttle and died when I applied rear coaster brake any suggestions?

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
First, congrats on the first run and the seat looks great. I'll let some of the motorheads help with the motor, but there is only one screw adjustment on the carburator. Dan

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
Ok, so sorry if you take offense to anything I just don't know how much you know about these little engines and wouldn't want to leave something out. Did you pull in the clutch when you applied the breaks? It isn't an auto trans but you can convert it if you want.

Did you set your idle screw? (it is the only little screw on the side of the carb) You do this by screwing it in all/most of the way and then running the bike. Pull in the clutch and you will here it rev. Unscrew the idle screw really slowly until the engine dies. Screw it back in about one half to one full rotation and the idle screw is set. (Some people might say to put it lower like 1/4 but then little things like an uneven carb or being colder then normal could affect your idle) If you already knew all this stuff just say so and add a little more detail and i'm sure the others and I will get you on the road soon :)

cat341

Nov 4, 2011
New York
Had some free time so rode it some more. I followed the idle screw directions and it idles a little bit better but I still need to use the brake all the time or she just wants to go. Man does that rear hub get hot (from applying the coaster brake). Are you saying I need depress the clutch all the time when applying the brake? Please bear with me here I am new to these motors. One other thing I noticed was the carb leaks fuel when it was sitting for the last week (yes I did shut the fuel line at the petcock) but there was still some fuel in the line leading to the carb.

takeitez

Dec 19, 2011
Clayton Missouri
Yes you need to use it when ever you come to a stop, you probable need to also adjust your clutch some. There are threads all over about it but if you need some more help just ask. If engaging the clutch is a problem then you can always get an auto clutch. (centrifugal) In regards to the carb leaking you might try tightening it up and if that isn't working tearing it down and rebuilding (maybe a new float and that kind of thing). Also the petcock you have is probable worth sh*t. (assuming you have the ones that you get from the kits.) Mine have never leaked but I hear it is a problem. You can get a replacement one that is much better from SBP.

Keep asking questions the more I talk the more it looks like I know ;)

Good luck