Engine starts then dies

GoldenMotor.com

Tom74

Mar 23, 2020
France
The first time I ever started my motorized bike it wouldn't start with the choke ON so I turned it off and it started but would die if I let go of the throttle, so basically it wouldn't idle. Then I adjusted the idle screw and I was able to get it started and idle just fine, each day I would ride it for about 15 minutes for 3 days and it was running just fine but today it starts and will idle but after about 2 minutes it just suddenly dies. I took off the carburettor and checked for any dirt or grime that could have gotten into it whilst I rode it. There wasn't anything wrong with it so I checked literally everything that could have gone wrong but everything looked like it should be. But then I noticed that there was fuel leaking from the primer button.

My Kit : China doll
fuel ratio : 20:1
Stock : Yes

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Check to see if y get fuel flow out of the tank. Some tanks come with lots of junk in them.
If you think it flooded turn off the fuel and see if it will start.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Float could be stuck or like LT said something may be like keeping float valve open if leaks and floods. Fuel valve shut off I when done riding like to run the bowl till empty by keeping the engine running til quits. That way no mess of dripping fuel, that is if fuel valve works. Sometimes just tapping the bowl gets it unstuck. Sometimes float will get a leak and flood which keeps the float valve open.

Reactions: Tom74

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Mix some fuel at 40:1.
Clean out the tank, and float bowl thoroughly.
Make sure the float isn't full and sinking, or have crud in the inlet seat. Both will cause flooding.
Install a new good spark plug.

Once set up properly, you should need a bit of choke to start, then about half choke for a minute of warm up, then -0- choke.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yeah, throw that as far as you can.
I have never use the kill switch....or I did ONCE. I always shut my bikes off by releasing the clutch.