Electric Start?

GoldenMotor.com

ej132

Mar 26, 2018
Hi all,
Looking to build my first bike here in the next month, planning to do a 4 inch tire bike with a 66cc engine with a jackshaft to a seven speed. Was looking at the stage 4 motor from bike berry but have been talking to some people and was told even with the jackshaft taking off from a dead stop would not be possible, seems like these engines plus having the gearing would make it possible but it is my first at this.
My main question is how does the electric start engines work? I guess my thinking is what is the advantage if I still have to pedal to take off of having the electric vs just dropping the clutch?
Thank you for your time

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
With the right gearing and engine setup for low end torque you can definitely take off from a dead stop. There's plenty of guys doing it with just the stock 44 tooth gear. The electric start does add a lot of weight with the starter motor and battery. If your looking for a complete electric start kit check out the "bullet train" from flying horse. It might save you the trouble of doing an electric start conversion

ej132

Mar 26, 2018
Those bullet trains are the electric ones Ive seen. It says it has a centrifical clutch. So would that mean it does not have a hand clutch? Their more like a moped of once rpm hits a speed the clutch opens and grabs?

ej132

Mar 26, 2018
Im assuming that would still work with a jackshaft for shifting? It would just require letting off the gas shifting then gas again

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
Your supposed to let let off the gas when you switch gears with the jackshaft kit anyway so it will work just fine

speedracer

Mar 6, 2016
Westechester, NY
I have two Bullet Trains, one with a jackshaft 5 speed hub (Norton Tribute) and a single speed on my Harley Tribute. Both are great and even the Harley Tribute takes off with no pedaling with no problem. I have a video below of the single speed.
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG

Reactions: msrfan

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
Beautiful bikes man. That bullet train motor really has a unique look to it. I wonder if that cylinder design runs cooler. It looks like it should