Doing it- friction drive on an occ stingray

GoldenMotor.com

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I've decided I'm going to do it, I'm going to build a friction drive for one of the OCC Stingrays I've got. I figure it's no big deal because it's removable and I can update it whenever I want.

I'm using the craftsman motor and I've learned from my mistakes and have built a much more rigid and stable mounting system. I'll be updating the madwagon with this change in design. It's amazingly more rigid. I think that the lift system will work better on it because there is no flex in the frame at all.

To finish, I need to pick up one more 4 inch hinge, a length of flat aluminum, some nuts and bolts and some screen door rollers. then I need to make another stop and pick up a brake lever and 2 sets of cable.

I can't wait to see how this goes. I think I need to cover my drive rollers in JB weld and sand because the knurls are rubbing off. Its some aluminum alloy. I can't imagine that these pegs would stand up for long at all for a BMX rider 's trick use.

I got one blurry pic of the new mount.

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
they make a steel peg. I have the alum and they do rub down after a while. I tried to bid on a steel one just like it but I lost. As long as you have the 3/8" thread I would try to stay with them.

the sand did not work well for me. My neighbor has some industrial sanding belts. He is going to bring me one for the chainsaw bike pipe nipple.

I drilled some dimples in it and it works pretty well. I think the sandpaper surface might do better but it might also wear out the tires to. Hard to say.

If you get hold of an engine without the 3/8 thread give some thought to the pipe nipple and end cap drive. I tried to take one apart from an engine whose case crumbled. I couldn't break it lose at all. The total cost is under three bucks so It's no big deal. I was happy to see how well it held.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I have a steel peg, you should have one soon too. The issue I had with the steel peg is that it's 26 not 24 threaded... I'm considering drilling it out and having my buddy weld in a plug for me, then drilling and tapping that but then he did tell me that anytime I wanted to use it I could drive up to his place in NH and use his welder.

I will say that if I make that drive I'm tossing everything in my place that needs a weld or two and making a day of it, NH is a long drive.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ah the old 26" thread thing. One thing I found out from my 25cc you con slide that down over a 5/16 in shaft and bolt it to the shaft.... I did it with an alloy peg I had..

And thanks for that I will have a nut welded to it and use that. Will just need to drill the threads out is all.

Last edited:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
Deacon- you just gave me a great idea- I can drill out the thread- drill a small hole in one of the sides and then tap it and use that to hold the whole thing over my ryobi shaft- it has one flat side so a bolt would grip that just fine and hold in place- awesome!

On one of the alloy pegs I've got i'm going to try the JBweld and sand, I think that the jbweld will hold well to it as it's got loads of knurls on it and that will give the weld something to grip to, I've also got a thing of play sand that will give it some tooth and hopefully it will hold well. I've seen a lot of people use it with a lot of success.

The knurls though are awesome, I think I get some slip though on the center of the peg that I have because its got a spot for a wrench to put it onto the bike. You'll love the knurls, I suspect you'll go from middle of your throttle to 1/4 in- they give a lot of traction(^)

I snagged a couple of pegs at Wally World too that I thought looked promising, then I got them home and they aren't threaded, you put them on and then use a long ratchet to put the nut on in the center- not what I wanted. Now I've got them and access to a welder. I may just be welding a nut on there. I call them my future experiment. I'll try a variety of stuff o their smoother surface. I read somewhere on here someone used a piece of sanding belt with a notch cut into it to hold it in place.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
jesus "tooth" another artist. lol

it was an answer to me I think... my neighbor has a few belts he is going to give me one day lol.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Tell you what I decided to do with your 26 thread peg. Im going to coat the inside of the threads with loctite, red nail polish lolm then I'm going to hold the shaft behind the treads with a vise grip and leather then I am going to start the peg and use a second vise grip to hoss it on. I should be able to cross thread it a pretty good ways onto the shaft of the ryobi. At least I think so. I'll give it some more thought but that sounds as good as anything at the moment.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
that steel peg rounded over the threads on my ryobi pretty well, and only went on so far. It fell off after half a mile... It didn't quite strip them but they aren't what theyused to be.