do i need a license for a motorbike

GoldenMotor.com

isaac_619

Apr 30, 2021
hello does anyone know if you need a motorized bike license to ride a motorbike kit i am 17 and live in imperial beach California i also need to know if you need a permit if you need any of those are yes how long do you guys think it will take to get one but if if its a no i need help proving to my mom with an actual thing from the DMV saying that you don't need a license any advise would be helpful im still new to motorized bikes and have been learning alot about them.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
hello does anyone know if you need a motorized bike license to ride a motorbike kit i am 17 and live in imperial beach California i also need to know if you need a permit if you need any of those are yes how long do you guys think it will take to get one but if if its a no i need help proving to my mom with an actual thing from the DMV saying that you don't need a license any advise would be helpful im still new to motorized bikes and have been learning alot about them.
Mail in CA.DMV form #230 to get your M/B (moped) plate. One time fee of $23
M-2 or M-1 license to ride a M/B in CA legally No insurance needed.

Search - CA DMV Motor Bicycle form #230 - Print it out and mail it in with $23
It takes about 2 to 4 weeks to get your M/B plate

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
@Tyler6357 can give you some more info about the Calif. M/B Plate

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
To get your bike registered in CA you will have to spend $23 to get your registration and license plate. There are no renewal fees or stickers, it's good for the life of your bike. To register fill out sections 1,2 and 5 of form: Reg 230, sign it, send payment and mail it to the address on the form----> https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/uploads/2020/03/reg230.pdf

When filling out the form use the serial number of your bicycle as the vehicle identification number (VIN). Also, since most of the 2 stroke 'china girl' engines have no serial number stamped on them when the DMV form asks for the engine serial number, it is acceptable to use the bicycle serial number and put an "E" in front of it in the spot on the form for engine number. "E" stands for engine. If the engine ever fails and you want to put a new one on your bike, you will not need to change your DMV registration. Leave the CA license plate spot blank, they will fill in a number once they assign one to you. Okay, that's it, send it in, wait 3 weeks, license plate and reg will arrive in the mail, no need to bring your bike to the DMV or anything, no inspections required.

In order to legally drive a motorized bicycle/moped on public roads in CA you will need to get a class 2 moped license or a class 1 motorcycle license, however, liability insurance is NOT required.