Did I do this correctly?

GoldenMotor.com

stellarjay79

Apr 21, 2021
I recently bought my first kit. I know very little about engines, just what I've learned from youtube. My kit came with the head and piston not installed. I've heard that incorrect installation of the piston clips can cause the pin to edge out the clip into the motor. I was hoping for some feedback on if I've done this correctly. Thanks. :)

Attachments

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I wouldn't even trust those clips get some clips from Weisco
Or use a snap ring from ace hardware This is what I used

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I recently bought my first kit. I know very little about engines, just what I've learned from youtube. My kit came with the head and piston not installed. I've heard that incorrect installation of the piston clips can cause the pin to edge out the clip into the motor. I was hoping for some feedback on if I've done this correctly. Thanks. :)
If ya did put the clip in correctly you should be able to turn it in the groove
Have the open end to the crank

Check your wrist pin and file off any sharp edges as these cut into the clip tabs causing them break off. The little broke off tab will ruin your cyl and piston
Some say the China clips are junk and pop out anyways.
Recommended is to cut the little tabs off before installing
But ya might as well buy new clips from Weisco Their Quality

Last edited:

stellarjay79

Apr 21, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I've heard the same from others that the stock wrist pin clips are no good. For a couple of bucks, seems like it would be dumb not to upgrade them at this point. Cheers

Reactions: wrench

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Thanks for the reply. I've heard the same from others that the stock wrist pin clips are no good. For a couple of bucks, seems like it would be dumb not to upgrade them at this point. Cheers
Wiseco clips can be hard to remove. Here's a TIP:
Using a Dremell tool put a small slit in the piston skirt clip groove
This will allow a pick to be used for easy clip removal. Cut the slit before ya install the clip

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I wouldn't even trust those clips get some clips from Weisco
Or use a snap ring from ace hardware This is what I used
Hey wrench either bicycle-engine.com or gasbike has the c clip ones for .69 cents a pair

Reactions: wrench