Derp moment

GoldenMotor.com

DavidCP

Dec 28, 2017
Well I just had a derp moment. A momentary panic when my engine wouldn't start today. I cleaned out the air filter, changed the oil, etc....

Turns out I forgot to turn on the gas valve and the rest was unnecessary. >.>

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LoL. We all done that one. With a 2 stroke, I can make almost a block before it chokes out and dies. Then realize why.

DavidCP

Dec 28, 2017
Speaking of derp moments, I found out what I was doing wrong with the choke. Turns out I was operating it in reverse.
Which explains why it was taking forever to heat up. It heats up much better when the choke is used correctly. Ahaha.

I tuned the carb alongside using the choke correctly during my test ride today. It has much more torque now.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not like we are born with this knowledge. The really interesting thing about this thing is the logical, problem-solving ya end up developing.

Old marine addage. Steamboat's main boiler goes down. Guy gets the job to fix it. Asked what it's gonna cost. $1.

Guy gets there and starts tapping a pipe with a wrench. Gets to a spot and taps it 3 times then whacks it hard and asks for his dollar.

Capt. asks "a dollar? Alls you did was tap and then whack a pipe"

Guy says "Ayup. It's a penny for the tapping and .99 cents for knowing where to do the whacking"

Cool about the choke thing. Was wondering about that and taking so long. How long until ya have power?

DavidCP

Dec 28, 2017
Now that the choke is being used correctly, it warms up to ideal temperature in about two minutes. Give or take.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really is hard to see. Nothing wrong with being careful and gentle. Especially with so few hrs on her.