Deacon's story

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have been reading about how these foolish little childhood toys change lives emotionally so how about one about how they can change life in a physical sense.

I have had a couple of heart attacks. Ten years ago the doc said to make a will. I did that. Then I went back to work as best i could. Then I started to have some strange symptoms, so I went to see a doctor about them. I knew I had run out of time on a previous patchwork brain surgery so I wasn't surprised that the brain tumor was again threatening me. That time I was told to get my affairs in order the end was near. So I did it again, then I sat down and waited to die.

Of course as they predicted I got worse. Walking into walls and forgetting things like a much older man. Finally my wife told me to stop driving or she would have the doctor call the police on me. I lose track of cars when I drive. At fifty miles and hour that is frightening. She knew telling me I was going to kill myself only made me happy. So she reminded me that I might wipe out a family in one of those cars I had lost track of.

Then I met a man who said he rode a bike everyday and felt more alive than he had in years. I had gained about 60 lbs while waiting for the end. I didn't begin with the bike. I began walking. At first I could barely get around the block. Gasping for air from the fat and the heart I expect. But I stayed with it.

As I began to feel a little better I began thinking I should give that bike a try. So I bought a used mountain bike at the salvation army store. Within ten seconds of being on top of it I ran it into the neighbor's house. It is a good thing that the house was brick. Well good for him, for me it gave me a deep bruise in the shoulder. Also a scraped knee that reminded me of being a kid.

I gave that bike to goodwill and waited while I healed. I decided I needed a bike with different handle bars and that I needed to just ride. So I did, bad balance and all. It took a week before I realized that I liked to ride but my breathing just wasn't good enough to pedal up hills ect.

So I discovered motor kits. I built one with some serious help from Norman (thanks buddy).
My balance started getting better while I continued to lose weight. I stopped walking into walls and I felt better about myself. My brain reprogrammed itself so that my balance while not perfect is much better than it was before I bought the bike and then the kit.

So the bike and bike kit have improved my life beyond anything I can put into words. yes I feel better about myself so it helped emotionally but it actually helped me physically. Don't let them tell you that motorized bicycling is cheating. It is not, there is a lot of exercise and good therapy in the motorbike. If nothing else you miss a lot of snacks while working in the shop.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Deacon, That is a great story. I love it and share yours as mine is much less dramatic. I second that it makes me feel alive to ride and clears out cobwebs that seem to collect more easily than they should. By the way how is your book going? Keep sharing and building and riding.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have written so many books but now I can't keep the characters straight so I gave up. I am going to start writing flash fiction I think. You don't need to keep that straight. It is only a thousand words or so. **** I might just get my own little corner here lol. Pay rent the whole thing.