Cutting down on frame vibrations and stress cracks

GoldenMotor.com

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
I'm considering the idea of filling my hollow frame tubes with grease to soak up vibrations. The idea is to drill a small hole in each tube and install a grease zerk fitting. I would measure the volume of the tube and match the amount of grease fill. All Displaced air would have to be released through the seat tube and head tube through small holes that are usually there already but still using caution in the process to release air and obviously I won't grease the seat tube. Any thoughts on this idea?

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
It would be really heavy. The best way to get rid of vibration, is to get rid of it at the source. Best way to get rid of cracks is either beef it all up or build a bike with full suspension.

I have heard of people using expanding foam in a frame, I don’t think it would really do much. Just make sure all your welding is done first!

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Those are all good points and the "done welding" part too. I'm confident but not enough that I can say for sure I'll be done.

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
The expanding foam is great for high frequency vibrations, but won't do much for engine vibrations. It's been tested by Spank Industries in mtb components for exactly what it's good for. High frequency vibrations fatigue the rider on long rides, both on motorbikes and mountain bikes. Your best bet would be to add some thin, and I mean thin, rubber insulation at your engine mounts. Thick enough to be substantial of course, but too thick and your engine can move around. It'll cut down on the engine vibrations and reduce the stress on the frame. I did this exact thing on my motorized road bike, and MAN, the difference was real.