Cruising Town on the OCC Stingray

GoldenMotor.com

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I had hoped to get out early this AM for a nice long ride. Fortune was not in my favor, as a storm blew up from the south overnight and when I woke at 7am it was raining... By 9am though it was done with the wet stuff and the roads were drying. I set to work getting ready.
Laundry done.
floors cleaned
new leather bag prepped for bike
(I had to make it look like i was doing house work so the SO wouldn't complain about me going for another ride.) lol

Housework done.
Roads still wet.
I chat a bit
Roads are dry enough for a ride.

It's now 1pm.... Also organized ride time out of Cycles 128 for the Harleys. Which was interesting.

Anyway. I got a good 20 mile ride in, an average speed of 21mph, max of 34 and so far I've put 75 miles on the engine. I'm very happy with how the engine is going at this point. I"ve got a few things I'd like to upgrade. but isn't that always the case?

I rode out to the Beverly/Wenham border on rt 97 and man my rear end was begging me to stop. The last 2 miles on that road were brutal. The bike lane was non existent, what shoulder was there was rough, there were areas where if there was a shoulder there was a 2 or 3 inch lip to get onto it and then the shoulder would run out leaving you with a 3 or 4 inch lip to have to motor up. I stayed to the edge of the road but man was it rough.

While out here I was passed multiple times by large groups of harleys. I really wish I'd been taking a video at least once. I got a lot of double takes and some shocked looks. It was pretty funny.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I can't tell you how much fun I'm having with it. It's different than the friction drive and really nice riding, except on those really rough roads. it's an easy riding bike that's for sure. I wouldn't want to pedal it for very long but just riding, man it's great.

just thinking of it now brings a smile to my face!

Tinker4

Oct 11, 2008
Arizona
Tell me about the friction drive good or bad. I'm think of puting one on one of my other bikes. Is it worth it. I found a place where I can get a Japanise 2 stoke (52cc) for $149 and I can get the rear mounting setup for $169 it look's like it has a lot of power. So tell me what you think of yours. What brand do you have? Thanks :ride:

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
My friction drive is a home build weed eater, 31cc ryobi witha jb weld covered BMX peg as the drive roller.

I love it. It's great for exercise, goes around 20mph reliably and is a whole lotta fun.

Don't think it's going to be like a happy time engine, it's a lot different in how it works and what not but there's nothing like it.

go for it you won't regret it!

check out the DIY section on here for a lot of friction drive testimonials. I just put a post on my blog comparing my ht bike and friction drive. link is below in my signature.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
hahhahh

When I was younger the grave yard in the town I lived in had a quarter mile square loop in it, a couple of us used to use it for measured runs.

This time of year it seems right to visit. the colors are in intense tree planted in straight rows, makes for a great shot and a quiet ride...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
To be honest about the friction drive bikes, I have a 42cc bike that will do at least 80% of what the china bike does. I would think that if it were set up right the 53cc might be right up there with the china bike and it would be as much fun I'm sure.

Tire wear is my only issue with my friction bikes. Even that isn't enough to break the friction drive grip on me.

Tinker4

Oct 11, 2008
Arizona
Is your friction drive bike motor a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke? I've heard that the 2 stroke had more power. The one I'm looking at is one that bestbikeengine is offering its a 52 cc Jap 2 stroke. The guy claims it haul's Ass.:D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Mine is a 2 stroke chian saw motor that is probably worn out. It runs very well but I judge mine by the hill climbing ability. Friction drive on the flat will just keep increasing speed because the drive wheel is moving faster than the tire ever can. It it was all on the absolute flat it would outrun the china bikes over a great distance.

The problem is when they get under a load. I put my bikes on a killer hill and judge them against each other. The china bike pulls the hill but with noticeable drop in it's performance. The 42cc friction pulls the same hill with a little more drop off in performance. It starts sooner and gets a little slower than the china bike. But it gets the job done just fine. At least to my satisfaction.

The smaller bikes drop off sooner and get to the point where pedaling is possible and required.

Of course other things come into play and they are trade offs. The quality of the drive wheel,. Better friction = better speed and pulling power = more tire wear.

Last edited: