Cruiser Bikes Is What I Likes (kinda GEBE specific)

GoldenMotor.com

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
When the sun comes up, I'm going to take a picture of my carport/shop, because this may be the only time I have the models I call my Chevy, Buick and Cadillac cruisers in one spot. I just checked Amazon.com, for comfort cruiser bikes, read the reviews, and advise potential GEBE customers to BUY LOCALLY.

Find a friendly bike shop, the $20-50 you save on-line, or money you waste upgrading a rusty bike on craigslist....Skip the headaches, understand your first bike and get fancy when the MBaddiction hits.

So, buy new, start fresh, spokes are true and brakes pads are squeekingly loud, (which is a good thing).

Rocinante has over 10,000 miles on her, has the original front wheel, my bike shop expert Justin checked the bearings on my $35 12 gauge rear wheel and spotted ZERO defects.

Back to my general bike shopping advise, with prices for you to ponder/ask questions. All the bikes have general modifications, which I'll spell out as the thread goes along.

They are, from the left, a modified Schwinn Point Beach 7 speed ($154 retail). When standing next to Rocinante ("my buick" a Sun Retro Alum 7 speed, now over $340 thanks to the falling dollar), it looks like a pony versus a mule.

Continuing the analogy, my Cadillac/stallion is a Sun Comfort Rover Sport 21 speed, ($370) the fastest/sleekest bike I build, the engines never seem to be able to outrun these bikes, you actually gain speed going up most hills. Except for the decals, it is identical to a $500++ Diamondback.

There are also 2 Next Suspension bikes, and 4 bikes tied to the rafters, what I call "barn bikes".

According to the books, I'm approaching 100 bikes built, don't fiddle with derailleurs at all, I avoid single speed cruisers (but we've locally built a stretch model with coaster brakes that can hit 52 miles per hour! Can you say "Bonneville Salt Flats"!!?)

A doctor in Birmingham once brought up a $1,000 French bike to modify, my under $400 bikes are twice as comfortable, look to be 10 times as sturdy....

My winter project is going to be a $700 steel recumbent with $100 windshield, to which I'll be putting on the now discontinued 25cc Zenoah (my Denver engine), and see if it can hit 300 miles per gallon.

I also will be doing a Tandem this winter, (as soon as my son in San Diego ships it out of his mother-in-laws storage shed).

Let me post this before the breeze breaks my connection again......

Attachments

Last edited:

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
The low-end Schwinns

At Target they call them Jaguars, the most recent brand at Wal-Mart is called Point Beach, WHICH IS CONFUSING TO CUSTOMERS.

WHY? A "beach bike" is usually a single-speed w/coaster brake, because the terrain is flat. I don't do single speed/coasters, and you can't use 3 speed bikes because of the internal hub.

So, the minimum bike is a 7 speeds. preferably with curved or mustache handlebars. Trust me, if you want to do distances, curved handlebars are Item #Uno.

The Point Beach is $154, I've picked up a Jaguar for $90. Pic 1 is the pony/mule comparison...Rocinante in the background

Throw away the cheapie kickstand and replace ($8).

Throw away the saddle, upgrade to a Cloud 9 (10" or 12" $25-35). Add a quick release seat post collar ($5).

You have to zip-tie the bottle carrier on low end Schwinns, there are no pre-drilled holes.

I cut the rear fender and rear rack in half, the remaining 10" of rack can hold up a pair of saddlebags easily, which I did test riding it for 60 miles last week.

I put on a cheap $18 basket, inside zip tied two more bottle carriers.

The front forks, because of the pitch/alum tubing, might present a bit of ingenuity if you want to put on a Wald Delivery basket ($35), but it can be done.

To clear the GEBE spoke ring, it needs ONE crimp in the rear left tubes (I think the bottom one).

If I kept the bike, I'd add shock absorber seat post ($25, and they have a new "air" shock $45, which I've not used yet).

Standard modifications are 12 gauge wheel ($35), Mirr-O-Cyl ($14), puncture proof rear tube ($10), slime tube in front ($7) and tire liners ($15).

Bike shops can't offer these low-end bikes, big retailers have specifically shaved corners somewhere to keep them under $200.

Last week I saw a 7 speed Schwinn at an Academy Sports store in Birmingham for around $225, (can't recall the name of the bike.)

The two Next suspension bikes are pic 2, and the "barn" bikes, all previously ridden, are pic 3.

The Sun Comfort Rover Sport 21 speed w/35 cc Robin/Subaru just got back from a 20 mile round trip to get the Sunday paper, (for about .28 cents in gas).

Attachments

Last edited:

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
Latest version of Rocinante....

I bought some 3 inch wide aluminum at Tractor Supply Co., and fashioned this new front strap set up, crossed it with two wings.

This allows a most convenient setup for the saddlebags.

I'm now so green, Rocinante has an ash-tray up on top of the handlebars, next to my new drinking water set up.

Here she is last week after the Phil & Friends/Allman Bros. show. Above the saddlebags is my air mattress, then my birthday present, a new Explorer pup tent.

When it was just the air mattress behind my saddle, I could back up and my shoes would be a foot above the pedals.

With my cruise control holding down the thumb throttle, I was thinking I could steer the durn thing with two ropes on the end of the handlebars, feet up in a reclined position.

Attachments

bamabikeguy

Jun 28, 2008
Holly Pond, AL
picasaweb.google.com
Dick's Sporting Goods on-line

Just had a visit from Kevin, a forum member from Nashville...and he was telling me about some good buys at his local Dick's Sporting Goods.

I looked for the Diamondback he identified, (no luck), but there are multi-speed models from Pulse, Victory and Schwinn among others....the lowest at about $170, then going up to the $300 level.

Comfort Bikes - Cycling - Dick's Sporting Goods