Confusing problem, plz help

GoldenMotor.com

OceanBUcks

Sep 17, 2011
FL
:-||Ok so when I start to ride my bike, everything works then i go to release the clutch to start the engine and then the chain tension adder (not sure what its called) goes into my bike spokes locking the back tire and sending me over the handlebars. What should i do? i have tightened it as much as i can. Here are some pics

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
are your pics flipped from left to right?
you have the engine on the wrong side if it isn't

some people like the chain idler.

i say that you never hear about someone who didn't use an idler say they got an idler in their spokes.

i know you have spent a lot of time getting your bike together.
take a few hours & mount the engine so you don't have slack on either chain.
you might need to get a half link for the peddle chain.

while you are @ it get some good chain from tractor supply. then you won't have a thread about how your chain broke.

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Put the tensioner in a vise and flatten out the curved sections that go around the frame, then reinstall.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
let's see.

the idler pulley went through the spokes.
flattened it out & it did it again.

the idler pulley is not needed except when it is impossible to get the chain taught with out using one.

i know you already mounted the engine.
i have remounted mine too many times to count.
once i gave up the idler pulley & gave it a great chain i have had 0 issues & don't need to remount it.

anyway the pulley is extremely ugly & makes it look extremely cheap.
the design is bad it uses tension & only tension to hold it on a cylinder that it is trying to rotate on.
it uses crap steel & parts.

using the idler pulley is like being in a abusive relationship.
it ruins your spokes, breaks chains, ruins riding & makes your bike look not as good.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have stopped using the aluminum angle lately. I discovered that using some screen type sanding sheet in the clamp that the fricton is increased dramaticly and have had no problem with tensioner movement on the last 3 builds.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Maybe a combination of half-links and moving the wheel back and forth in the dropouts, you can eliminate the tensioner entirely.

vincent713

Jun 2, 2010
Dallas
On my mountain bike I took off the tensioner and adjust the front motor mount to line up the chain to the rear sprocket. I have about 1/2 inch play on the chain and its running fine without the tensioner.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I made my engine chain short enough to not need the pulley. of course, this ended up putting too much slack on the pedal chain. so I put the tensioner on the pedal chain. there is a tab on the bottom right chainstay for mounting a chain guard. I removed the chain guard a long time ago, so I mounted the pulley so the tab would be in between the two halves of the pulley, keeping it in place. we have given you several simple solutions. if they don't work for you, then best of luck.

syates234

Jun 14, 2011
idaho
What would happen if I removed the chain tensioner would i have to shorten my chain or is it possible to remove it? would it f*** everything up? Another question, my motor wouldn't turn over so I replaced the mag and the cdi and it still won't turn over and suggestions?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
There's a few things I did to solve that. The reason I needed to do this was that my chainstay tapers.

1. Purchased a chain tensioner from BoyGoFast. I'm not a fan of him - but the tensioners he sell have two brackets instead of one, this solves much of the problem of "drifting tensioners".

2. Replaced the bolts with grade 7 bolts so I could properly torque them without fear of snapping or stripping them out.

3. Took some 1" heater hose, slit the side lengthwise and fit it over the chainstay, the mounted the tensioner over it.

It's got the better part of a full season on it, and it's held up fantabulously since.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
simple fix is to install tensioner where it needs to be and ride(engine off) to nearest muffler shop and have them tack-weld tensioner in place to secure it. This way it cannot loosen up and turn into wheel. Worked for me!