CNS High Performance Carburetor

GoldenMotor.com

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
Has anyone had any experience with the "Cone CNS High Performance Carburetor" that I've seen advertised lately, for their 66cc 2 stroke? Actually I am very happy with my NT carb, just wanted to know what people thought about this carb.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Many will advise you to stick with the NT. The CNS has a questionable reputation around here. And don't be taken in by that 'High Performance' tag. That's marketing pure and simple.

Those who have had good luck with the CNS are those who love to tinker and experiment and they have been successful. Most have not been as satisfied with that carb. Your NT will do everything the other one will do and do it simpler and with less constant work. As for performance there is no evidence that the 'high performer' is any better, especially when the owner has limited experience with carburetor work and tuning.

Give the NT clean fuel and jet it right and you'll be better off. But then that's just one man's opinion.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Make that TWO men's opinions...
I MUCH prefer the stock NT for simple tuning.
The only aftermarket carb I have ever seen that is an actual improvement is the SHA or sha clone.
Remember, nothing you bolt to a STOCK INTAKE is going to improve flow since it's limited by port and intake size.
Firehose through a pinhole will still only flow a pinhole worth of air.....
Look at the SHA and clones for better mixture control and easy tuning

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Make that 3...
the CNS is a good carb but it's NOT fun to tune... and if you don't have the right intake manifold for the CNS you'll be fixing air leaks every other ride.
The other deal with the CNS is that it's only 1mm larger than the NT speed carb so there's no significant gain with it other than a bit more tunability since it has a regular idle circuit and idle mixture control. It works nice when it's tuned, but it's also high maintenence compared to the stock NT or NT speed carb.

Maniac is also right about the stock intake.. it's only 13mm and putting a bigger carb on this intake won't give any gains. If you have the aluminum shorty intake it can be bored out to 16mm which will be slightly noticeable with an NT or NT speed carb installed, but even with the CNS installed on this bored out intake there wasn't enough difference in performance for it to be worth the trouble keeping it from leaking.

I've had mine up to 42mph with a regular stock NT so just get the jetting right on the NT after the engine has broken in and you'll do just fine. The SHA carbs work pretty good also and will give a slightly noticeable increase so if you're still looking for a better carb, the SHA on a shorty intake that's been bored out will give decent trouble free performance once tuned, but in my opinion, unless you're going up to an 18mm carb or bigger with a matching intake, the gains from these smaller carbs just aren't worth it compared to the stock NT.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut

I swear by the NT. I even prefer it over the less fuel-efficient NT Speed. The NTs are simple to tune, highly reliable, and are DIRT CHEAP. Buy one!

EDIT: OOPS! You already own one! GOOD!

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
Thanks for the replies. Like I said I really like the stock NT carb, starts easily and idles great. I'm not taken in by the words "high performance" or "racing"...what can it do for a stock restrictive intake manifold? THE ONLY thing that intrigued me was the air mixture screw, and I didn't like the idea of the CNS having a choke lever which mounted on the handlebars...even though I have a vintage motorcycle with one on the bars, but hey it's 50 years old.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I've 'tinkered' with my CNS V3 carb for 2 years.......gonna go with a Dax RT this Spring.

And that's all I got to say 'bout that!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Best aftermarket carb I have found for my Pig is the SHA clone. Hands down better than "speed", CNS and RT.
Got mine pre-jetted from Pedalchopper and have not touched it since.
Very little four-stroking and good low end power with no overall power gain. Just a nice clean running motor, almost Japanese feeling.
My 2 cents.

I prefer the single cable version myself. It also has the automatic choke release.
They also come in a cable operated choke.

MOTOMagoo

Dec 5, 2020
Well I just ordered my first one CNS quote" high performance carburetor. Couple weeks ago my stoner ass was working on my bike straighten up my handlebars making sure no bolts were falling out you know the usual motorized bike stuff. Finish smoking a nice fatty bull hop on my bike roll down the hill turn right onto the street pop the clutch bike fires up and give it gas, everything is going good, bike sounds good ......now here's why I got the cns. I'm reaching down to the NT carburetor to turn the choke off. Just build the bike so still having trouble finding that choke lever. looking down, got the handlebars pointing to where I want the bike to go at about 15mph -20mph anyway. Okay got the choke open. Bike even sounds better deeper ready to give it some gas. As I raise my head to see my course down the road I realize that my dumbass forgot to tighten the handlebars which were pointing straight down the road but my wheel with pointing right up the curb into a telephone pole and a fire hydrant. Now some will say don't smoke weed and you'll be fine. But I've been smoking pot for 30 years probably. This CNS Carburetor has a choke lever on the handlebars so you can operate the choke without having to go fish. Does keeping your eyes on the road. That's kind of a no-brainer if you ask me. For those of you wondering yes I crashed into a telephone pole after running up the curb and yes I hit the fire hydrant. I also had on good boots good gloves and helmet. Also the CNN carburetor as air fuel mixture adjustment. It's also a flat slide. Tunis carburetor I bet you it is better than Auntie carburetor regardless of where the choke lever is but I bet we're this carburetor will really show a difference is in like a bt100. Or one of these 66 with a third transfer cut in. If you want performance upgrade on your carb get a carburetor with a diaphragm in it.

• Haha
Reactions: wrench