Clutch Sticking

GoldenMotor.com

Cycloptishred

Mar 30, 2012
Eugene OR
The clutch is sticking when disengaged. I figured that I need to grease something up, but I don't know exactly what to grease and what to use. Any help would be much appreciated.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It would help if you told us what engine you have. Centrifugal clutch or manual? 2 stroke engine or...........?
Give us some information so we can offer some advice.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
By "sticking" I'm assuming you mean the engine is still partially engaged with the handlebar lever pulled in? If I assume correctly I would start by tightening the clutch cable. You'll want little to no slack at the engine end where it's attached to the clutch actuator arm. If you installed the 1/4" diameter spring that came with the kit, throw it away. Keep the larger one. It's a heat shield.

Whatever, don't start adjusting the flower nut on the right side until you have read and fully understand what you're dealing with. There is a lot of information here on the proper procedures for clutch adjustment. Most clutch problems can be traced to an improperly adjusted clutch cable. Try that and get back to us.

As far as lubrication, yes the clutch actuator mechanism behind the cover, left side, needs to be greased. There is a cam, inside the cover, the bucking bar, protrudes from the sprocket and the ball bearing, goes in before the bucking bar, they all need periodic lubrication. Use a good bearing grease. Not oil on these parts.

Tom

Last edited:

Cycloptishred

Mar 30, 2012
Eugene OR
Thanks tom, I opened it up yesterday and found that the bucking bar has grinded down to the width of about the size of the clutch handle (only slightly more symmetrical) and now the cable at the handle keeps slipping out of the housing its in. So I gotta ride to work without running a clutch.