Chain keeps falling off of sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

MichaelKanRS

Sep 26, 2019
I just built a new motorized bicycle and I've been having chain issues.Everytime I dump the clutch to start the motor, the chain would fall off, catch between the sprocket and spoke, and get stuck. So far, a spoke is slightly bent and the sprocket is scratched. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I should also note that there's a lot of chain rattling when I'm riding the bike around with clutch disengaged.

Eric Matson

Oct 13, 2018
I just built a new motorized bicycle and I've been having chain issues.Everytime I dump the clutch to start the motor, the chain would fall off, catch between the sprocket and spoke, and get stuck. So far, a spoke is slightly bent and the sprocket is scratched. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I should also note that there's a lot of chain rattling when I'm riding the bike around with clutch disengaged.
Make sure your sprocket is running ttrue
It has to be all most perfect.
Not more than 1/16 out..
Allso run the chain with the least amount of slack
Hope this helps
Lots of instruction vids on utube

Reactions: allen standley

MichaelKanRS

Sep 26, 2019
Make sure your sprocket is running ttrue
It has to be all most perfect.
Not more than 1/16 out..
Allso run the chain with the least amount of slack
Hope this helps
Lots of instruction vids on utube
I am very certain that the sprocket is true, but I do notice some wobbles side to side. I also hear a snapping sound every now and then even when everything else runs smooth. I noticed that the chain becomes loose after a ride.

Eric Matson

Oct 13, 2018
[QUOTE="Eric Matson, post: 679492, member: 52333"
Should be dead on no wobble
The rear sprocket has a offset on it
It can be installed either out or in that will affect alignment too
Like l said you want as tittle slack as possible in the chain
Check alignment by taking off the chain guard and the sprocket cover
so you can check alignment
The smaller the chain the more critical alignment is
I used to race mc and bigger chain is not as critical just wears out the sprockets sooner