centrifugal clutch question, is it true?

GoldenMotor.com

fenderhole

Feb 18, 2009
RVA
yesterday i was checking out info on theses centrifugal clutch set ups when i came across an older thread that stated when the engine was shut down the centrifugal clutch locked to the motor and you had to pull in the clutch lever to roll or peddle the bike. is this true? i'm asking because i usually use the pedal as a kickstart so i can warm up the motor before i go for a ride(i have the kickstand that picks the whole back tire off the ground). if this clutch truly locks to the engine when its off then i should still be able to kickstart it as usual, correct???

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
Centrifugal forces from the engine spinning drive the clutch friction material against the housing causing the clutch to engage. with engine not spinning when off, the clutch doesnt' contact the housing and is not engaged.

Depending on kit, some allow pedal starting but manual clutch has to be engaged to allow power to be transferred to the one way bearing on the centrifugal clutch. Some kits supposedly don't have this option and only allow pull start.