Cautioned in Adelaide!

GoldenMotor.com

jahmonn

Jan 9, 2009
Adelaide
Not a child skylarking .. but a grown man comfortably motoring at 32 kph on what I believed to be a legal machine .. lights helmet etc. Pulled over by police claiming doing 39kph. Drivers license details taken and warned if pulled over again will be taken to court ordered to ride bike home under pedal power.
Court action details included charge of unlicensed,unregistered,uninsured and unroadworthy vehicle (lots of un's eh). Basically hinged upon 200 watt output
limit . Officer stating anything over 200 watt would be classed as a motorbike.
I need to find a dynamo printout for a 48cc engine showing max output of 200watt .. even if the engine has been governed to the max to produce this. If the law wants to say cannot govern to produce .. will cite that scooters and semi trailers are governed.Scooters are governed to 50kph and semi trailers to 100kph. I might have to get dynamo test done myself as I haven't been able to find the information I seek. So looking for someone with access to motorcycle dynamo for such purposes. Once this has been achieved it will pave the way. Since all motor vehicles are tested via dynamo giving power off driving wheel at point of contact with road, I would presume this to be the appropriate way to test a bike. All feedback welcome =)
Have been in contact with a few motored bike manufacturers.
(tried to post motor registration departments pdf file but too large at 177k)
Power Assisted Bicycles - Transport

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Will a sticker that says 200 watts work?
Or "200 watts" punched into the engine case with those little lettering punches that machinists would use?
Sounds like you met a real punk today.
Welcome to the site, by the way!

snorks

Jan 16, 2009
Africa
I was cautoned in Adelaide ten years ago..... riding a Yamaha RD250LC. I wasn't doing anything wrong.I think it's just the breed of policeman there, bored, trivial & usually suffering from little mans syndrome, & they realise people know they are on $35K a year.
I found the cure was to leave the country. lol. Lets face it,there's no water,it's 38C for weeks on end, the sales of Marijuana make up a greater part of the economy than underwear sales -nationwide! not to mention the flys.....
Here in Africa people wave & smile when they see me on my Garrelli mosquito or my other chinese job! The wind in my hair because I'm not bound by that awful helmet law in Australia!

cheers
Simon

kg78

Dec 27, 2008
Sydney, Australia
i think it will only be a matter of time before more restrictions come in place here in oz. i think its only qld yeah that has banned these things?

as more and more of these kits become popular u just need some person from the eastern suburbs or the richer folk to make complaints to their local mp's and its over. or for someone to get hurt or hit by a car from these bikes and they will be over regulated like anything else.

dont know if its been posted somewhere on the forums yet i havent searched but some guy got pulled over in sydney i think he was on the way to newcastle or something and the guy was pissed from drinking wine and was swerving all over the highway on his motorized bike! it was in a sunday paper with his bike photographed and all!

australia has a tendency to regulate and restrict anything that moves i just hope people like this dont make it harder or worse for the honest people that ride their machines responsibly.

that cop was probably just being an a$$hole.

KG78
.bld.

Chop Chop

Jan 17, 2009
Paradise
No, I got my post wrong so I have edited it to be what I know correct...

They are still legal here in all states bar QLD but the policy makers in Canberra are trying to outlaw them nation wide, there should be some sort of petitioning happening if this is the case!

Last edited:

kg78

Dec 27, 2008
Sydney, Australia
chop chop,

are there any links or hard evidence we can read of this push for canberra to outlaw these as im pretty interested in reading more about that.

if it is it will be pretty typical, this place is so over governed and regulated its a joke!

KG78
.bld.

Chop Chop

Jan 17, 2009
Paradise
I remember two links I saw but I can't find them now as I was random googling one day but the jist of it was something like this, one was about a case in NSW July 2008 (with links to court documents) where the judge ruled on motorised bikes stating that they could be illegal even if the were under 200w and the other I remember was mentioning the link between suspended drink drivers and motorised bikes and how the police were trying to get morised bikes outlawed. I will attempt to find them over the next day or two and post them here...

As for you comment on being over governed I couldn't agree more! Australia, the free country, is not so free. To me it is so over policed it is a joke, I am tattooed head to toe and if I had a dollar for the every time I got pulled over and queried about being a 1%er bikie (biker for our American friends) I would be able to buy Tasmania! I got pulled over in Nov 2008 whilst walking down the road with a laptop on my way to a gig (I am a music producer that produces trance but with a back ground in metal) and had to pull up wave files on editing software and mess with it to show it was infact my computer, I even offerered to go home and get the reciept but they wouldn't hear of it and I spent 45 mins on the side of the road with these pigs justifying my existence and the funny thing with that experience was that a car flew by, swerving, whilst they were harrassing me and even they yelled at the guy to slow down and when I enquired why they weren't catching that guy for so obviously breaking the law and endangering the public one of them responded that they could do only one job at a time. I responded that pulling a person over cause they were carrying a laptop and had tattooes wasn't exactly a legitimate reason for a "job" they got mad and I thought I was going to get artrested for some trumped up charge... I felt so belittled by the experience I decided to move to the Great Lake in Tasmania (pop 2).

kg78

Dec 27, 2008
Sydney, Australia
chop chop,

that sounds pretty normal for the type of ridiculous policing we get in oz. it varies state to state mind u, some being worse than others.
i think its pretty disgraceful about your laptop incident to be honest. ive heard of worse stories with the cops with a few people i know, they dont involve motorized bikes at all but it does involve police brutality!
by the sounds of it i think the issue that could be the whole undoing here is the fact that a certain number motorized bike riders are people that have lost their licenses for various reasons and are using this legal loophole to get around on some sort of motorized and unregistered vehicle.
having people riding around on these with drink driving offences etc may be enough for the govt to pull up the handbrake on motorozed bikes.
ive lived in uk and sweden for a few years and i can honestly say we are an over governed nation that is starting to become laughable. i think too many levels of govt doesnt help the cause.

KG78
lworider1

snorks

Jan 16, 2009
Africa
Couldnt agree more! Australia is waaaay overgoverned .Because nothing ever happens there it causes bored beurocrats (spelling?) to sit around and focus on making & enforcing petty, trivial laws. Here in Africa it's like Australia was in the 1970's. I can buy a pellet gun (slug gun)at cash convertors,proper slingshot with armbrace at the local hardware,fireworks at the local trader, don't have to wear a seat belt,can drive at 120kph legally on the highway,can hang whatever I want from my rear view mirror etc. etc.

That said, everyone is responsible for themselves.If I trip over a lettuce leaf in the supermarket...its MY fault. which ofcourse is the way it should be.
That drunk guy in Sydney will be the Martin Bryant of the bicycle motor scene.

Part of the problem is the health care system.The government (through your taxes) is responsible for the health of the nation so will do anything to protect people from themselves...

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
im from south africa so i know wat u mean snorks but id rather be here then their, I can walk round here anytime and not be in fear of my life. would u go into the middle of Jo burg without at least a .22 ?????

Chop Chop

Jan 17, 2009
Paradise
I have decided I am going to sell up here in the next 12 months, buy a yacht and become stateless...

I am not as proud to be Australian as I was 10 years ago, John Howards reign has destroyed my love of the country and think I would prefer to be roaming the high seas as a person non grata and free than become more un Aussie than I see myself becoming!

kg78

Dec 27, 2008
Sydney, Australia
...and on that note id like to wish everyone a happy australia day!
my folks reckon they saw some old guy on main road near our place getting nicked yesterday riding his scooter. they werent too sure if it was a scooter or a motorized bike but my dad knows the guy as he lives in same suburb as us.
they drove past and an undercover cop had apparently pulled him up.
ill find out more but im hoping he wasnt riding a mb.

KG78
.xx.

Chop Chop

Jan 17, 2009
Paradise
Saw the funniest shirt yesterday, the Aussies here should get it... it had the endevour on the front and Boat People written on the back!

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
The US is rapidly getting to be like Australia. Nationalized health care is looming on our horizons But
the current private Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) are just profiteering rats. A reasonable middle ground can be found, I hope. If Osama has his way America will be ahead of Australia in a couple years in the "Big Brother" arena.
Big government has NEVER done any job faster or cheaper than the massed will of a free people.

By the way, why does my text disappear behind the ad on the right? :D

Chop Chop

Jan 17, 2009
Paradise
That statement is so funny, here in Ausrtralia the majority of folks say that we are becoming more and more like the states...

handel.barz

Jan 27, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If I may add my experience in here. I found that if you keep on less travelled roads, don't annoy motorists, and make sure it's got extra quiet muffler system and doesn't smoke, you problably will be left alone. I've had the local law pull up beside me give me the once over and continue on. If you're speeding, even on a regular bicycle (going down hill) and police come up behind you, you'll get pulled over.