Can Bicycle wheels handle 55MPH?

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I'm currently working on assembling a Thor tribute and I'd like for it to look as correct as possible. Thus my question: Can I get bicycle wheels that will hold up at 55-60 mph?
Yes and No. If it's a department store stock wheel then the answer is No. If it's a bicycle shop grade wheel set up for things like down hilling etc, then the answer is Yes. The wheels/tires is only part of it. The frame and steering system also has to be able to handle those speeds.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Ballance your wheels and tires... I would go with moped axles wheels and tires for anything over 35mph the moped brakes and moped suspension fork... Because there designed for 55mph or something like an AMF Harley Davidson frame with those wheels and brakes etc... Anything that goes over 35 or has 4 hp or more is a motor driven cycle and no longer a bicycle and most states agree with the laws today... is my take on it...

gunnarthefeisty

Jun 30, 2022
Minneapolis, MN
I AM getting a frame built, and that guy knows I want to go fast but wants to use motorcycle wheels. I want the smaller, thinner wheels like on the early bikes so it looks right. Does anyone make proper repro wheels for those, or do I just need to go to a bike shop and talk to the folks there?

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hey dude. You could have a bike shop lace moped hubs to bicycle rims or go to Gemini Bicycle Products. I have gone 50mph regularly on Schwalbe bicycle tires I think about 65 dollars each. They’re good. The top of the line tires. I have motorcycle tires 19 and 21 inch on two different bikes, they are very good at 50 mph. The Schwalbe tires believe it or not I pack with an ebike liner, a tire in a tire, a tube liner (I think) and a thick thorn proof tube. If I get a flat the tire will not come off the rim and I can get home.

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hey dude. You could have a bike shop lace moped hubs to bicycle rims or go to Gemini Bicycle Products. I have gone 50mph regularly on Schwalbe bicycle tires I think about 65 dollars each. They’re good. The top of the line tires. I have motorcycle tires 19 and 21 inch on two different bikes, they are very good at 50 mph. The Schwalbe tires believe it or not I pack with an ebike liner, a tire in a tire, a tube liner (I think) and a thick thorn proof tube. If I get a flat the tire will not come off the rim and I can get home.
I have never got a flat.

Reactions: fasteddy

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I would follow this person's advice and go with both motorcycle rims and tires.

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Mag rims? Maby?
Forget about the mag wheels for MB... Spokes can bend and can be a pain to true but won't snap with out any warning and the sealed bearings that come with them are crap the tiny bolt's that holds on the sprocket and disc need upgrad to grade 8 most of the good mag wheels that everyone sees in videos are hard or impossible to find and they get the bike berry wheel and it's a knock off that's a bunch of problems...

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
While bicycle tires have come a long way and many tread styles are available

26 x 2.125 Cheng Shin Classic Knobbies (beach cruiser tire)
I used them in the 70s and 80s and i still use them in 2022
IMO 50 mph is about Max for that Bicycle tire

I wouldn't feel safe @ 60 mph for extended periods of time
The rubber might fly off the tire LOL

I like the Cheng Shin Classic Knobbie it's got that old skool Retro look that's period correct for my Whizzer. Besides the classic knobbie is for pavement, sand and gravel
Look at the miles on the odometer, I've never had a tire failure due to speed
The pic was taken a couple years ago I now have over 40K miles
The tires don't last 40K miles LOL. The rear tire lasts about 1,500 miles
My 2005 NE5 Whizzer Top speed is 50 - 55 mph but I cruise @ 40 - 45
Simple tire design, the oldie is a goody

Sure the PSI on the side wall says 35 psi That's because your suppose to put that much psi for sand and gravel But actually they can handle 65 psi just like their close cousin the Cheng Shin CST street tire
I put 45 psi because that's what I like

Attachments

Last edited:

gunnarthefeisty

Jun 30, 2022
Minneapolis, MN
While bicycle tires have come a long way and many tread styles are available

26 x 2.125 Cheng Shin Classic Knobbies (beach cruiser tire)
I used them in the 70s and 80s and i still use them in 2022
IMO 50 mph is about Max for that Bicycle tire

I wouldn't feel safe @ 60 mph for extended periods of time
The rubber might fly off the tire LOL

I like the Cheng Shin Classic Knobbie it's got that old skool Retro look that's period correct for my Whizzer. Besides the classic knobbie is for pavement, sand and gravel
Look at the miles on the odometer, I've never had a tire failure due to speed
The pic was taken a couple years ago I now have over 40K miles
The tires don't last 40K miles LOL. The rear tire lasts about 1,500 miles
My 2005 NE5 Whizzer Top speed is 50 - 55 mph but I cruise @ 40 - 45
Simple tire design, the oldie is a goody

Sure the PSI on the side wall says 35 psi That's because your suppose to put that much psi for sand and gravel But actually they can handle 65 psi just like their close cousin the Cheng Shin CST street tire
I put 45 psi because that's what I like
How would you feel about a consistent 55 on them? Since this is an old bike I'm obviously going to be doing little-no interstates, mostly just US highways and whatnot. So 60 would be pushing it a bit, probably just for passing.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
How would you feel about a consistent 55 on them? Since this is an old bike I'm obviously going to be doing little-no interstates, mostly just US highways and whatnot. So 60 would be pushing it a bit, probably just for passing.
If I could go 55 mph consistently I would be upgrading my wheels

I'm in the 40 - 50 mph range and 55 for only short periods and I feel safe
Mostly cruising @ 40-45