Built a 12v battery bank/electric generator.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Took sometime off tinkering with my bikes and computers and built a 12v power bank that can regenerate power with either 120v wall outlet, solar power or what I currently have it setup with a 12v 200 AMP alternator using a battery isolator in my camper van. Has 104 AH which is enough to run a laptop, small fridge, lights and cellphone/tablet over the weekend in the van while I camp with the wife. Recharges while I'm driving from place to place.

All I need now is a hitch haul for the bikes so we can cruise around the campgrounds. Being able to stay off grid for as long as I want is a great feeling to have.

Short video demonstration of how the device works.

I also wanted to include some pictures my land craft, will look better once I have the bikes on the back haha. Hope the panoramic photo looks okay on the thread.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I built one of these for the back of my last bike. it powered everything on the bike and stayed charged while riding with a set of solar panels. I built the box too.
Dang that must have been heavy! Mine is around 90 lbs.

I finally got the bank installed in the van with the voltage meter I ordered online, here's what its current state is.

Dan

Staff
Staff member
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang Cylon. That looks like it was manufactured. Big time, functional art.

I have a real love for a kind of urban, hardware look. So when I make stuff, it always looks like a shade-tree mechanic made it. But wish I had that sorta touch. Really does look like a concept team met with a production team that sent it down to the floor so the engineers could draw it up and then a team of techs made it happen.

Pretty work. Literally.

Question. How does it vent or breath?