Built a 12v battery bank/electric generator.

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Cylon, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Cylon

Cylon Member

Took sometime off tinkering with my bikes and computers and built a 12v power bank that can regenerate power with either 120v wall outlet, solar power or what I currently have it setup with a 12v 200 AMP alternator using a battery isolator in my camper van. Has 104 AH which is enough to run a laptop, small fridge, lights and cellphone/tablet over the weekend in the van while I camp with the wife. Recharges while I'm driving from place to place.

All I need now is a hitch haul for the bikes so we can cruise around the campgrounds. Being able to stay off grid for as long as I want is a great feeling to have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Short video demonstration of how the device works.

I also wanted to include some pictures my land craft, will look better once I have the bikes on the back haha. Hope the panoramic photo looks okay on the thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

That is too cool, Cylon!

3. Sitherus

Sitherus New Member

I built one of these for the back of my last bike. it powered everything on the bike and stayed charged while riding with a set of solar panels. I built the box too.

Attached Files:

4. Cylon

Cylon Member

Dang that must have been heavy! Mine is around 90 lbs.

I finally got the bank installed in the van with the voltage meter I ordered online, here's what its current state is.

[​IMG]

5. Dan

Dan Staff
    Staff Member

Dang Cylon. That looks like it was manufactured. Big time, functional art.

I have a real love for a kind of urban, hardware look. So when I make stuff, it always looks like a shade-tree mechanic made it. But wish I had that sorta touch. Really does look like a concept team met with a production team that sent it down to the floor so the engineers could draw it up and then a team of techs made it happen.

Pretty work. Literally.

Question. How does it vent or breath?

6. Cylon

Cylon Member

They are AGM sealed lead acid batteries, they don't vent like a normal unsealed marine battery would. I wouldn't recommend using unsealed batteries in your living space. So no worries about hydrogen leaking into my air when I sleep in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery#AGM_battery

Dan likes this.