Build yer own magneto coil winder

GoldenMotor.com

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Build your own winder out of a fishing reel and a couple parts.

I built this because I was tired of buying accessory coils for my bike so I decided two was enough, I can do my own.

What you need is:

A reel. (I used a smooth bait caster but anything will probably do.)

A piece of wood. ( I used a 5x5 piece of broken fence board.)

A mandible. (I had one from an old mini drill I had but you can get them off old dremel tools.)

3 wood screws.

Dismantle the reel and fit the mandible to the end of the long drive shaft.

I filed mine down and drove it into the end out the mandible.

Take the precision bearings and gears and what not and carve out a place on the board for the main bearing to seet flush once inserted.

Insert the drive shaft through the bearing in the board and using the gears and remaining parts, shim the shaft so when you re attach the handle it's snugly in place and you should end up with something that looks like this. See pics.

The three wood screws are to screw it to the side of my worktop bench to use it.

The gold spool is what I spool what I'm going to wind off on to. It obviously is what holds the fishing line.

And then what you do is you use a small nail with a large head (I use roofing nails) and you super glue it to the spot on your Magneto that is center most,

And when you're done you just dab it with a little bit of fingernail polish remover and it will come undone.

One could use a variable speed drill for bigger coils but I am only winding 40 feet of wire so I opted for a hand crank.

Plus it satisfied my urge to tinker... Ngl.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

EmCee

Jul 16, 2022
@Wevil Kenevil I was looking up on re-winding a magneto's coil and found this recent post. If I'm bumping too old of a post, my apologies.

Last night, I decided to take apart an old magneto to see how the windings are situated. Do you know of any tutorial or at least photos that either show the process or what's going on under the fabric tape? Unfortunately I moved too fast because it looked as if the windings were somehow then connected by a piece of tape? Unsure if I broke something that is important, when I used my multimeter it wasn't getting a reading, so I assumed it was something important.

Thanks for the tutorial on how to make a winder, any information you do have regarding my question is highly appreciated.

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
@Wevil Kenevil I was looking up on re-winding a magneto's coil and found this recent post. If I'm bumping too old of a post, my apologies.

Last night, I decided to take apart an old magneto to see how the windings are situated. Do you know of any tutorial or at least photos that either show the process or what's going on under the fabric tape? Unfortunately I moved too fast because it looked as if the windings were somehow then connected by a piece of tape? Unsure if I broke something that is important, when I used my multimeter it wasn't getting a reading, so I assumed it was something important.

Thanks for the tutorial on how to make a winder, any information you do have regarding my question is highly appreciated.
There are only two videos I found on youtube that covered every aspect of wrapping a coil. But I'm sure that there are more.

"How to rewind a primary coil" is what I searched for.

I'm pretty sure that I denoted the video so I will see if I can find a link for it and post it for you.

Reactions: fasteddy

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022

This should get you started on the right path. I know its different but its the same principal. And use 26 gauge magnetic enamel wire. And I know it's kind of archaic but what I do is I unwind the old one and measure it in 40 ft lengths in my backyard to know exactly what the length is or how many wraps were originally on it.

And when you order the wire order enough to do it a couple times because usually the first time you do it it ends up getting nicked or something happens so I would triple over order so you have some extra.

To patch any spots on The wire that the enamel has been nicked from, you can use a quality enamel fingernail polish to patch over any chipped off spots.

This works best with a " fingernail paint dryer accelerator" that you paint on. The accelerated drying solution evaporates all of the gel that the pigment is suspended in. If you don't use the accelerated dryer you have to allow the wire to entirely dry naturally which takes about 12 hours.

A little trick I learned from a friend of mine who was an I.T. SERVER service repair tech. Troubleshooter And female... ( YO' CANDICE!)

If you need more info or if you have a problem tracking down the information you seek contact me and I will help you locate what you need.

Last night, I decided to take apart an old magneto to see how the windings are situated. Do you know of any tutorial ?

Last edited: