Braking performance Drum Hub

Discussion in 'Wheels, Brakes and Suspension' started by javy mcdees, Sep 5, 2018.

1. javy mcdees

javy mcdees Member

Who here can say what brakes work best for motoriized bicycling application.

I have just purchased and using a 70mm drum front hub brake that seems to work ok.

Maybe was expecting more but it still is new so most likely needs to get hot a few times and try it in city traffic and keep the cable adjustment tight for faster braking. Only have one brake on the bike at the moment. The front wheel brake hub. Still getting used to the hub brake using cable adjustments, removing all the slack makes it work much better as for stopping power.

#1 javy mcdees, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  2. javy mcdees

javy mcdees Member

have had a few memorable moments with my sturmey archer, finally seems to be seating in now and braking improved.
    Had the clamp break off 2x and had to make a new end and weld the brake arm end that snaps off when the clamp breaks. but as far as the brakes go the smaller 70mm drum brake works good after about 500 miles of heavy city use. next one will be the 90mm drum to try out, but I am happy with the braking now with the smaller unit. Message_1541601666612.jpg Message_1541601666612.jpg

3. bairdco

bairdco a guy who makes cool bikes

I use old moped drums on my race bike. They used to be spongy and, well, let's just say that if someone went down in front of me, I'd run them over.

I roughed up the braking surface and grooved the shoes with a cutting blade and they work great now.

Since yours is new, it's just gotta break in, get the shoes seated.

The best thing to do is get some jagwire cables. They have low compression, meaning they don't squish when you're braking, and have a solid feeling pull.

You can get them for about 20 bucks or less on eBay. Enough to do your whole bike. There's a guy who sells them without all the fancy packaging who is easy to find if you search eBay.