Bicycle lock suggestions

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle Accessories' started by bulldog87333, Jul 8, 2013.

1. bulldog87333

bulldog87333 New Member

I had my motorized bike stolen outside of walmart last wednesday. I just bought a new cruiser and motor and got it all set up. Now I need some suggestions on some good decent priced locks that will resist bolt cutters and hack saws. Any suggestions? Thx!

#1 bulldog87333, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. JustAnotherBozoOnABike

high man, i bought this at Amazon and coupled it with a 6ft stranded security cable so i can always lock my bike TO something, even a store shopping cart works as an anchor although fixed objects like telephone poles and such are always best.

Kryptonite Series 4 Disc

...here you can see the lock and the cable that i have woven around the outside of my baskets.

[​IMG]

peace, bozo

3. bigbutterbean

bigbutterbean New Member

When I moved into this house a year and a half ago, I knew I was going to have to lock my bike outside, so I went to Lowe's. I asked for 3 feet of the heaviest chain they had. It weighs about 10 lbs. I went to Kmart and got a case hardened padlock (said on the package it resists cutting). The easiest way to get past any lock is to pick it, but if they want to cut my chain they'll need a power tool, which I'll hear when I'm at home because my bike is chained to a traffic sign right outside my front door. Been here a year and a half and no one has successfully messed with my bike yet, even when I accidentally left it unlocked overnight once.

4. Velodrome

Velodrome Active Member

Bull. Welcome to the forum. You would do better to post questions like this in the appropriate sub-forum. You'll get more and better responses and old timers like me will get less annoyed. Try posting in the accessories category HERE:http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64 or better yet, do a quick search. ( Darth ) Feel the POWER of the search. That said. Here's the best "lock" I've ever seen. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbQu_IVUURA

5. bulldog87333

bulldog87333 New Member

My bad Velodrome. Still new to this forum and thx. Took me a while just to figure out how to post a new thread. Still not sure how to find a category. That is the coolest lock for sure! Thx for the info and the link to the right thread.

6. bulldog87333

bulldog87333 New Member

ty butterbean for the info too!

7. JustAnotherBozoOnABike

you're welcome.

8. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Active Member

Sorry to hear that.
    Was your bike locked up when it was stolen?

9. bulldog87333

bulldog87333 New Member

Yup, had one of the $30 cable locks on it from walmart. i was only in the store 15 min and came out to it gone. I need something i can trust. I live in Fresno, Ca and it's pretty ghetto. lol

10. maniac57

maniac57 Old, Fat, and still faster than you

No lock is completely foolprrof. They all have disadvantages. My best advice is choose something that will make life tough for potential thieves, like hardened chain with a good, big round padlock. Master makes one for storage containers that is seriously hard to break or cut.
    Cable locks are too easy to cut with a cordless grinder, get a high quality hardened steel chain as big as you feel like carrying and lock BOTH wheels and the frame EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU STOP! (even for "just a second")
    But know that no matter what you lock it with, it could disappear anytime you leave it. Best you can do is make it more difficult so they leave yours alone.

#10 maniac57, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  11. xseler

xseler Active Member

Like they say, all you can do is try to keep the honest ones honest.

I lived in Fresno for five years. Part of it's pure ghetto -- part is really nice. The only things I really miss are Sequoia National Park and Marion's Mexican Food on Shaw Ave.

....can't forget In-n-Out!

Good luck to 'ya!!

#11 xseler, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  12. MotorBicycleRacing

Not a lock but a good anti-theft measure is getting the $20 license plate and ID from the CA DMV.
    Might also give you a better chance of getting your bike back if stolen.

13. bulldog87333

bulldog87333 New Member

Nice! I didn't know i could do that about the id and license plate. I'm going to do it on fri.

Xseler That's very true and my favorit thing about fresno is the mexican food lol.

14. xseler

xseler Active Member

Wait, I just remembered the farmer's market in downtown Clovis -- great produce!

15. Rex3x16

Rex3x16 New Member

I just bought me a hardened steel lock and the thickest chain I could find, about 3 feet of it. Granted I don't usually let my bike leave my sight, but its good for when I do. Just drop it in my basket and goooooooooo.

16. JustAnotherBozoOnABike

license plates don't stop car thieves and i suspect they won't stop bicycle thieves either so get a plate if you want one but you should also get yourself a solid lock, it's better to be safe than it is to be sorry.

...that's why you see Harley Davidson's, all with license plates, chained to telephone poles.

peace, bozo

17. MotorBicycleRacing

Don't go in to the DMV and waste your time. They won't know what you want
    and you will only confuse them.

Print out the reg230.pdf form and mail it in with a $20 Postal Money Order.

18. bulldog87333

bulldog87333 New Member

Yea I don't plan on leaving it anywhere long. I am just going to go with the chain and lock route and register it. Thx for all the suggestions!

19. mew905

mew905 New Member

If you're really worried about it, buy a small, cheap android cell phone, and put it on pay as you go with data (100MB is more than enough). Then turn on Wifi and GPS, and hide it somewhere on the bike. An HTC Wildfire will "snap in" under some bicycle seats. This way if someone steals it, you can track it on Google, including everywhere the guy went. By the time he discovers the cell phone (if hidden well enough), it'll be at his, or his buddy's chop shop, and well too late.

If you dont want to go that route, there's also http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/ . A bit more tedious to use but it's disguised as a part of the bike, so while the cell phone may be discovered the instant a teardown begins, this thing will last a bit longer through it.

EDIT: now that there's an app for your phone with the SpyBike, it's not all that bad anymore, just waiting on that $5.52/month deal and I'll be getting one.

#19 mew905, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  20. bulldog87333

bulldog87333 New Member

Wow, those are pretty sweet! I think ill eventually get one. Thx!!