BGF Motor & 1G long gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

NH_Madman

Jun 8, 2008
Got my BFG engine today and the long gas tanks(^) Everthing is there and was wrapped awesome i must say..came with a manual!!Iam gonna mount it tomm and make a test run on the weekend or next week(No work after the 1st :))The 1g long tanks for hanging below the top tube he sells arent bad!The paint on them looks pretty good.Iam gonna mount it to my 3spd columbia to test but this week picked up an old dutch city bike(60's or 70's)Scan Sport nordisk special edition.I cant find any info on the bike so i know its rare.Ill have some picks on it soon as that one is gonnan be a beauty:D Should i put anything between the engine mount and tube or should i just hard mount?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I used a small sheet of lead between the mount and the frame tube and also between the clamp and the frame tube. 4 pieces total, makes a huge difference.

Don't get too excited about the "manual", you'll probably be lost in the woods in the first hour....

Can you post a picture of the tank?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I used heater hose first then nothing except where I needed to make the engine fit differently. It dropped down too low and was hitting the chain ring. To get it higher I had to use the heater hose to fill the gap.

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Hey all, I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to track down a vendor who sells the hanging fuel tank, meant for mounting under the top tube. Any advice?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Why not make one of PVC? It was been suggested for behind the seat tanks, why not the hanging style?

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Ferball, That is a cool idea. I will go look at that thread (was it discussed on this forum?) I guess the cap and outflow pipe are the challenges there.

BTW BikeGuy Joe, I found one at Blowbyumotorizedbicycles.com

http://blowbyumotorizedbicycles.ca/6052.html

Near the bottom of the page (kind of a strange web site -- one giant page.)

Is the cap vented on these things?

Attachments

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Yes it is somewhere on this forum, there is even a "how-to" somewhere how to make a tank vent and I even found the petcock alternative. It was just a clamp on the line to stop gas flow. It is all here some where you just have to look.

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
I was thinking of finding a nice steel storage cannister to use as well. I really need to learn how to solder and braze.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I made my PVC under the tube tank with common stuff from the hardware store and a minimal budget. Came out great.