Batteries & Bikes

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I know some of you are running the SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) style of battery, either 6 or 12 volt. I do mainly because I get them free. But...in 600 miles I've been through 3 batteries and I felt there had to be a reason for the premature failures so I contacted the manufacturer today and had a very interesting discussion with an engineer who designs the batteries for his company. I told him how I was using his product, on a motor assisted bicycle, and sent him a picture of how my battery is mounted. He said that mounting a SLA on it's side and subjecting it to shock or vibration is a sure way to destroy the battery. He explained how the plates are installed in these little plastic cased wonders and now I can see why I keep wrecking them. The batteries are designed and intended to be mounted upright; that is with the posts pointing up. The plates are set into shallow grooves in the bottom of the case and when layed on their sides and bounced around, the plates can warp, fall out of their grooves, short together and spell disaster for the battery. He said if they're mounted upright that they can absorb considerable shock and vibration.
I'm remounting mine tomorrow...upright.
Tom

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Thanks for that one! Yes, just because they don't leak, doesn't mean they can be mounted up any old way. For that, get a NiCad, LiIon, or NiMh.