Bafang battery

GoldenMotor.com

elewayne

Mar 27, 2009
Longmont Co.
I want to get a mid drive Bafang motor kit for my existing bike. Yes, I know one will fit.
should I go for the motor kit with the battery included or just the motor kit and get the battery separately?
If separately, what 48 V battery would be a good buy?
If I got it alone would I be getting a better battery then the one supplied with a motor?
I'm not a kid anymore and won't be pushing it that hard but I want the best buy for the money still. dependability, power, range etc.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I can build you a 48v 48ah, 150 amp rated battery for $1200, plus shipping. Have it ready to ship in 2-3 months. Comes stock with Bluetooth bms and safer chemistry than usual ebike batteries. The size will be about 13x6x5.

motor kit with battery, you’re gonna get some crappy Chinese 10ah battery. It’s good to get started but you will not be liking the range anxiety and reduced power after just a few miles. You’ll get the little battery for a cost, then you’ll get something you think is better for a little more money, but it’ll be junk too.. then you’ll wonder why you didn’t buy with me..

Last edited:

JerryAssburger

Mar 11, 2017
Salem Oregon
I can build you a 48v 48ah, 150 amp rated battery for $1200, plus shipping. Have it ready to ship in 2-3 months. Comes stock with Bluetooth bms and safer chemistry than usual ebike batteries. The size will be about 13x6x5.

motor kit with battery, you’re gonna get some crappy Chinese 10ah battery. It’s good to get started but you will not be liking the range anxiety and reduced power after just a few miles. You’ll get the little battery for a cost, then you’ll get something you think is better for a little more money, but it’ll be junk too.. then you’ll wonder why you didn’t buy with me..
Tony speaks THE TRUTH! The part of an E-bike you really can't skimp on is the battery pack. I have a 48V / 20aH no-name pack I paid $224 for. Guess what- I got a battery pack that's gives me only $224 worth of range. (More like 12aH from my range calculations). The Thing about E-bikes (and what's stifling their popularity) is that decent batteries COST. No way around it unfortunately. For the range I was hoping for, I should've saved up and paid $400. Oh well. I get about 6-7 miles with it before it's starts getting doggy.
As much as I love the quiet and convenient power and speed from my E-bike, the 4-stroke kit became the better fit for me.

elewayne

Mar 27, 2009
Longmont Co.
Thanks that's what I expected to hear. and I've given thought to the 4 stroke kits as well. but I'd have to build the whole bike. Mine won't work for that.
Also I just sold my Vespa so it would be about the same thing. Not much point except fot the fabrication exersize.
I'll talk with the guys at Luna first.
Before I'd put out $1200, I'd figure out how to build it myself. I'm not without skills and I'm working on knowledge right now. but thanks.

Last edited:

JerryAssburger

Mar 11, 2017
Salem Oregon
Thanks that's what I expected to hear. and I've given thought to the 4 stroke kits as well. but I'd have to build the whole bike. Mine won't work for that.
Also I just sold my Vespa so it would be about the same thing. Not much point except fot the fabrication exersize.
I'll talk with the guys at Luna first.
Before I'd put out $1200, I'd figure out how to build it myself. I'm not without skills and I'm working on knowledge right now. but thanks.
Not to sway you or anything, just my 2 cents, but I purchased a cheapie 48v 1000w rear hub motor kit, and it is really fun. I don't know how expensive the Bafang set-up is, but from what I understand, people get those for more starting-off torque. The hub motors are a little soft on take-off, but I can still beat cars across intersections. I love it. ...just jones-ing for a better battery.