Back from the dead

GoldenMotor.com

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Quick update on my build. Still no delivery on my 3-speed hub. My bike shop guy can't get parts because of supply chain disruptions. Meantime, I've started another build using my Northrock MB and misc. parts. More info later with photos, but basically it'll be a very early Chinagal and SBP shifter. Call me insane for throwing an oil-spewer on a white bike! Surely there's a cure for this affliction.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Getting closer and closer on this rebuild. Today I installed a connection box for the electrical components. It's the dry cell box for a vintage Eveready flashlight that contains the key switch that's connected to electronic ignition for cut-off and security, the two outputs from the electric coil that goes to a two-phase bridge rectifier, and a fuse that connects the DC output on the rectifier to an insulated hot post. The LED headlight, tail light, horn, and brake light will all tie into the B+ hotpost. This wiring scheme took almost as much work as the rest of the bike, but it came out pretty well. The box is a salvage part from one of the bikes that was ruined in the storm and I think I'll keep it red for that reason. Also got my custom exhaust finished and installed. The drive chain from the engine to the jackshaft will straddle the manifold allowing the pipe to dump on the opposite side so it's inside the bike frame away from body parts. A little bitching is due here. Did you know Krylon Fusion paint melts in gasoline? My exhaust has a crinkle finish as a result. I guess that's okay since it will get hot and flake anyway. Second, I never realized how incompatible chains are with humans. I had a challenge getting the drive chain to work after it rusted up in several spots from the saltwater even though it is stainless steel. I'll need to finish the edges of the teeth on my sprockets in order for it to run smoothly. My last complaint is my tendency to drop things when I'm wearing latex gloves for protection. It's just darn hard to hang onto small things like nuts and washers when you can't feel through the gloves. I spend hours on my hands and knees groping under my workbench or my garden tractor looking for dropped parts! I guess that's part of the fun. Things are coming along. Check the pictures and let me know if you have any ideas for improvements.
Stainless Steel chain you mention. I think I saw the all half link chain Shadow Conspiracy, but copper color and others. Nothing I saw said stainless. Where did you find that?

I recently used by mistake stainless steel in just a two piece offset link to adjust length in a chain. This is 35 Chain and the chain being carbon steel held up, but the stainless offset link had the bushing dent. Popped off the driven sprocket. The one piece offset link I had been using with the super small cotter pin worked fine. That type was carbon steel. I am going back to using that.

If I see the picture of yours, the long chain to the pedals, that does not rotate at 3000rpm. The engine output does speed at times 3000rpm and not sure if you have carbon steel chain or a belt to that. Breaking down and getting a ride back with your bike can be difficult, but I was lucky and even had the parts to fix it while camping. Just I had Monday to Saturday enough riding in mud puddles, so worked out well anyway.

wrenching4fun

Jun 6, 2016
North Carolina
Hi Measure Twice. I have so many spare parts it's hard to keep up with them, but I seem to remember the stainless chain came from an OCC. My 412 and 415 KMC chains, including the stainless ones, were ordered online, probably from Amazon. Anyway, I've nearly completed the new Northrock enduro build and thought I'd throw up some photos. It's pretty basic except for the electronics box under the seat that holds the CDI, rectifier, fuse, and toggle switch that will soon be switched out for a key. I used a standard 4-wire trailer wiring harness from the engine to the electronic box. Blue wire from magneto to blue wire on the CDI, white from magneto to A/C input of the rectifier, yellow from generator coil to the other A/C input of rectifier, brown to black wire on CDI, and green to ground on the rectifier. The rectifier feeds my LED lights from a generator I bought on Ebay but had to rewire after I found two breaks in the wiring. The bike is very light and fast with 7 gears to help the stock 66cc Chinagirl. The 1st generation SBP shift kit and Shimano gear selector works like a charm. Shifting up is a breeze, smooth and seamless, with the spring-loaded push button, but it took a while to get the hang of the thumb lever for downshifting. Had to lengthen the brake cables to the dual brake lever to fit new handle bars. The fabrication of a fork stop to keep the front end from jack-knifing has been pre-empted by the holidays. Will be looking for some long trails next week. Might install minimal plastic fenders to keep everything dryer. Any recommendations? Happy Trails.

Attachments