aluminum frames

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I had an aluminum frame on my first predator bike. It broke within the first 2 months. I riveted some steel plates on either side of the break and it lasted long enough for me to build another bike, literally the day after I finished the next bike it broke in another place.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Mmmmmmmmmmm, that's not good news. I ordered a Kent Curser for my
next build. I did not realize it has a aluminum frame at the time. It to late
to cancel the order. But I do have a miller tig welder in my shop. I also
like the weight saving. It is a nice looking bike. But just wanted some input
as to you guys thoughts?

Fly

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
I used a Kent Del Rio for 2500 miles using a 142 hushang. Mm was muffler clamped. I swapped out to a S jaguar so I could weld my mm.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I've had few Kent aluminum frames: two TWO-NINERs and two GS29s. My on TWO-NINER's down-post fractured just above the engine-mount after about 3000-mi. My first GS29s (the replacement) needed replacement soon after I got it since I screwed-up the tensioner-wheel install...I crushed the chainstay and compromised the frame's integrity. Rode on it for a few hundred miles before the chainstay exhibited an incomplete fracture. Have a couple-thousand miles on the 2nd GS29. Seems tough enough. I weigh 280 and carry around about 50lbs in my backpack.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
I've had few Kent aluminum frames: two TWO-NINERs and two GS29s. My on TWO-NINER's down-post fractured just above the engine-mount after about 3000-mi. My first GS29s (the replacement) needed replacement soon after I got it since I screwed-up the tensioner-wheel install...I crushed the chainstay and compromised the frame's integrity. Rode on it for a few hundred miles before the chainstay exhibited an incomplete fracture. Have a couple-thousand miles on the 2nd GS29. Seems tough enough. I weigh 280 and carry around about 50lbs in my backpack.
You are a big fellow, I,m just a trim 250 lb (wink) but I have been giving
this much thought. I may slit some 4130 chrome moly steel tube &
make sleeves to hose clamp over stress points like motor mount area &
such. That would spread the stress out more even. My bike will be
delivered tomorrow.
Fly

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
My first build was / is a Felt "Twin" aluminum frame. Been riding it for years and Im no light weight. NO problems. Before they had their own frame Phantom used nothing but Felt aluminum.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
I have an aluminum frame with largish tubes. When I mounted the engine I made sure it was right, not necessarily real tight. In other words the engine can't move at all but the mounts aren't so tight as to put a crushing force on the tubes. They were snugged for fit then threadlocked and jam nutted.
I only have about 600 miles on it (chinagirl) but no troubles at all so far.
The engine is still jiggle-free, tubes look fine.

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
That's great to hear. Being this is my first aluminum frame this is
a unknown for me. I have read Kent curser & most of the bike reviews
were very positive & said it was sound other then cheap fenders, which
is no big deal for me. I just wanted a good frame.

Fly