Adjustments and Operation

GoldenMotor.com

wjose

Jun 12, 2008
Hello Folks,

I'm not too good at posting so hope this works. Just put together my 70CC Dax Kit, followed the instructions and noticed the lack of information on how to operatethe bike and adjust clutch and throttle cables, also mixing the fuel is something that would be new too me. I'm looking forward to getting this thing running and would appreciate any advice on possible modifications to make operating this thing bug free. I'm in Hawaii and have not seen anyone with this kit yet.

Bill

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
just like me, bill. never seen one yet in my locale. everyone always craning their necks and pointing. kids go crazy for these bikes they want one so bad i almost feel sorry for em...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Bill- You've come to the right place for all the info you'll need.

You can adjust the cables at the bars, or at the working end. If you need it, someone will be glad to help you with a step-by-step, let me know.

Mixing fuel? Get a one gallon can and add oil then gas....read the oil's recommendation for ounces per gallon. Use a mix of 24:1 at first, some go to 32-36:1 after break-in.

Read this- http://motorbicycling.com/f30/bicycle-motor-preperation-care-354.html

If you need help with operation tips, just ask......

He are a few to get you started.

Use less than full choke to start...all bikes need different amounts to start well, most seem to need 3/4 or less..
Pedal to a comfortable speed before releasing the clutch whether starting or taking off from a start.
Don't overtighten your chain!
Ask a lot of questions.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Adjusting the throttle and clutch cables is just like adjusting bike brakes. You can adjust at either end of the cable with the screw that the cable feeds through.

If you need to adjust the clutch itself, there is a thread somewhere in Classic Instructions for Building and Repairing Motorized Bicycle Engine Kits - Bicycle Engine Kit Classic Posts at Motorized Bicycle Forum that has what you need.

For starting/choke operation, here are my best results:

I don't ride the bike to start the motor. I pick up the back seat and with the clutch released and the other hand on the throttle, spin the pedals with your foot (helps to be in a fairly low gear - I use 2 on the front, 1 on the back).

So when starting first thing in the morning or after it's been a while since riding, I put the choke FULLY on (all the way up) and crank it over once. The bike won't start, and will barely sound like it's trying. Then I put the choke at 1/3 to 1/2 on and kick it over again, twisting the throttle. It'll start right up usually. Pull in the clutch and lock, set the bike down, and let it warm up for a couple minutes. I start my bike like this every morning and it always starts right up. This is also the easiest way I've found to start weedeaters and leaf blowers :)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Wow, I'm going to have to try that, I never gave a thought to "kick starting".

It's got to be easier on the bike and looks impressive to onlookers as well!

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yeah, and it's way more convenient. I hate trying to monkey with the choke while moving, not to mention my bike takes a few min to warm up before it has any power whatsoever.

I tried doing it on my red bike by tilting it up on the kickstand, but I was in a high gear and it took too much pressure to move the pedals and I snapped the stand in half, lol.

Maybe I'll take a video of my starting process this afternoon. I did a video of my ride to work this morning, but already had the bike running and warmed up when I started recording.

wjose

Jun 12, 2008
Wow,

Thank you all for the great advice and references, I will try to make the adjusments, when buying the oil, is it two stroke oil? Also, where can I buy the parts locally?

Bill

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Any two stroke oil for AIR COOLED ENGINES- not outboard oil.

Buy parts locally? Like? Tractor Supply Co. has chain, bike shops carry brake (clutch levers) and cables...the clutch cable is just a bike brake cable.

Spark plugs are available at an auto parts store NGK B5HS or B6HS.