adjusting clutch from pre load to running need help

GoldenMotor.com

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
Hi so I got a yd 100 clone from bicycle motor works and i have had this issue where the damn thing wont engage. it worked fine for a time but now ive had to replace the clutch arm because it rounded out in the clutch housing. so ive been told I may need to adjust the pre load on my bike? any idea as to which direction I need to turn to get the arm to go away from the engine? any help would be great!

lucajo16

Dec 12, 2013
cincinnati, ohio
well i need my clutch to engage. its acting up at this time and its really getting on my nerves. the clutch fails to engage and disengage and its rounding out my clutch arm. this is the 2nd arm ive been through with this thing and it wont engage or disengage....itll stick or it wont turn over

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I am not overly familiar with the "new" type of engine, but if the bottom part is the same as the old one, I'd pull the "bucking bar" out and make sure it's straight and lubricated so it works properly. It sounds like it's bent slightly and not moving freely.
When the preload is right, you should be able to use the handle of a hammer or some other "non marring" object and just be able to move it with a good hard knock.
Unless you are very small or have a condition like arthritis, you should be able to move the clutch arm with your hand (it won't be easy, but you can.)

Too loose- the clutch will drag and not turn the engine over.
Too tight, and you will either pull the cable stay off the end trying to pull the clutch in, or it just won't disengage.

You've described a problem with the bucking bar (push rod from the arm to the center of the clutch.) if I read it right.