How long do you break your engine in?

• 1 tank of gas

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 2 tanks of gas

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
Hello all! New to the forums here, excited, and eager to learn but have a few questions before I get started. Ordered one of these china delights from amazon and I'm hoping to get it put together on a new Huffy Nel Lusso cruiser from Walmart. I also ordered a hub sprocket adapter because I have done enough research to know that I do not want to mess with the rag mount that everyone talks about being so time consuming and potentially dangerous to the "tru-ness" of my back wheel. I am looking for advice on a few things because I want to make sure I do everything correct from the start as far as breaking it in.

1. I ordered the Maxima Scooter Pro 2 stroke oil that I plan on mixing 16:1 for the first tank and then switching to 20:1 is this a good and safe way to break it in?

2. I plan on using a tachometer all the time mounted to the bike because I would like to know what is an optimal idle speed range and WOT range for the RPM's for both break in period and after the break in?

3. As far as breaking it in goes, should I keep the RPM's under a certain amount? I have seen some people saying to not run it WOT during break in and same say they do?

4.What is a safe operating temperature for this engine? What is too high and whats the best spot on the engine to monitor it? I have an infrared thermometer I plan to use during the break in so that I do not get it too hot and I can know when to shut her off.

Any and all help/advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Kyle

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Welcome to the forum. Ill keep it simple
20 to 1 is plenty 16 to 1 is really to much oil
More important is to run it 10 min first time. Let cool down
Run 15 min. Let cool down and then just stay with the 15 min jaunts for a tank or two and. Don't beat it change up the throttle. Cruise at the med to slow speed., just don't go beat the engine. Rev a bit. Just be more gentle.
I use synthetic blend and run 32 to 1 right from the get go.
Everybody has a different opinion on break in and oil ratio.
I've built 30 some bikes but some here have built hundreds and we all have our own suggested breaking procedure no doubt. They all do run better and smoother and more umph after 300 miles. Good luck.

Ps put some long reach caliper brakes front and back on that Nel and you can avoid using the coaster brake...
The Nel is ready for 1080 long reach squeeze brakes.

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
Run 15 min. Let cool down and then just stay with the 15 min jaunts for a tank or two and. Don't beat it change up the throttle. Cruise at the med to slow speed., just don't go beat the engine. Rev a bit. Just be more gentle.
I've built 30 some bikes but some here have built hundreds and we all have our own suggested breaking procedure no doubt. They all do run better and smoother and more umph after 300 miles. Good luck.

Ps put some long reach caliper brakes front and back on that Nel and you can avoid using the coaster brake...
Awesome thank you so much for your response! Where Can I find these long reach caliper brakes you speak of?

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017

Will these work?

Sunlite MX Side Pull Brake Set, 69 - 96mm Reach, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO9NYA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_rmAaAbXBZ5SCZ

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1080-style...109254?hash=item2ca1065ac6:g:9E4AAOSwgQ9VnrnC
Your very welcome kpi, Above is a link that shows a picture of the correct brake for the Nel Lusso,
these are available on amazon also. or buy direct from Porkchop BMX parts.
There is a hole in your seat bridge and the front fork for these. You will then have 3 brakes in an emergency. also I recommend shortening your fenders and bracing them. At least bracing them as the vibration takes a toll and fatigues the factory ones. Many good threads in this forum in the search engine.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I run a quart of 16:1 if cylinder is aggressively honed - 32:1 thereafter.

Kpi890

Nov 6, 2017
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1080-style...109254?hash=item2ca1065ac6:g:9E4AAOSwgQ9VnrnC
Your very welcome kpi, Above is a link that shows a picture of the correct brake for the Nel Lusso,
these are available on amazon also. or buy direct from Porkchop BMX parts.
There is a hole in your seat bridge and the front fork for these. You will then have 3 brakes in an emergency. also I recommend shortening your fenders and bracing them. At least bracing them as the vibration takes a toll and fatigues the factory ones. Many good threads in this forum in the search engine.
Perfect thank you I’ll have to try to find some threads on how to brace them then. I’m excited to get this build started!

Azoth

Nov 11, 2017

How can he add front and back brakes if the clutch is already taking up space for one lever?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
A double pull brake handle. Is the only way to go.
Sunlit makes them. They are available on amazon or eBay and cost about 12 bucks or less. Z