6 Florida MB Registration Questions

Discussion in 'Laws and Legislation for Motorized Bicycles' started by quik225, Feb 5, 2017.

1. quik225

quik225 New Member

I don't want to invest $600 in a MB and not be able to use it like I want.
    So I have 6 questions.

1. Is this correct?
    -complete 84490 and Exhibt A forms
    -make appt with local DMS for inspect
    -bring completed MB and receipts for motor and bike

2. If I get the VIN sticker at the DMS, am I done then or do I have to go to the DMV for the registration?

3. Is the registration transferable?

4. Is there a tag involved?

4. If a motor bike is legal in FL, will it be legal in other states like other motor vehicles?

5. My plan is to use a 49cc 4 stroke F142 rated at 2.5 HP, will this be a problem with the DMS inspector because of the 2 BHP rule?

6. My local DMS is in Ocala, anyone have experience at this location?

2. TheNecromancer13

I'm pretty sure anything gas powered is a no-go in Florida, but the laws are so convoluted it's hard to tell. BTW the 49cc 4 stroke doesn't produce anywhere near the HP they advertise, neither do the 2 stroke chinagirls.

3. LR Jerry

LR Jerry Active Member

#3 LR Jerry, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  4. Figment51

Figment51 New Member

Below is what is required a inspection fee of 40.00 is charged rip off as it is the same to inspect a car

State of Florida
    Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Affidavit for a Motorized Bicycle Converted to a
    Moped

I,owner/app licant hereby certifies that the bicycle converted to a moped conforms to all
    applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards related to lights, safety and other equipment
    contained in Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations and in compliance with Chapter 316 Florida
    Statutes.

In addition to the above, I hereby affirm that the motorized bicycle converted to a moped meets the
    definition in Section 320.01(27) by submitting an Affidavit for Inspection of a Motorized Bicycle
    Converted to a Moped (DHSMV RS 68 - Exhibit Al attached and complies with the installed and
    operationalconversion requirements to meet 316 Florida Statutes, including but not limited to the
    following:

• 1Headlamp (minimum)
    • 1Stop lamp (minimum)
    • 1Tail Lamp (minimum)
    • Reflex Reflectors: (3 ) Red and ( 2) Amber ( 1red in the rear maybe combined with tail
    lamp/stop lamp) {2 red on side to the rear) (2 amber on side to the front)
    • 1Registration (tag) Lamp illuminating the tag for SO feet
    • 1Horn: audible for 200 feet
    • 1Rearview Mirror
    • Brake activation can be combined or separate; wheel must have a separate brake. (Please note:
    The stop lamp must come on when either brake is applied.)
    • Twist-grip or thumb activated throttle
    • When issued, tag must be permanently mounted (secured with nuts and bolts thru fender, etc .)

UNDER PENALTIES OF PERJURY, I(applicant/owner) DECLARE THAT IHAVE READ THE FOREGOING
    DOCUMENT/s AND THAT THE FACTS STATED IN IT ARE TRUE. Further, Iagree to defend the title against
    all claims.

Printed Name and Signature of Applicant (Owner) Printed Name and Signature of
    Co-Owner

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Signature of DHSMV Compliance Examiner Badge Number

DHSMV Florida Assigned FLA VIN:---------------------

Date:

5. quik225

quik225 New Member

Thanks Figment51,

After reading the link LR Jerry supplied above, I put the thought of a motorized bike on the back burner. I wanted to do a 4 stroke and would have had a minimum of $900 in it by the time I got a tag on it. I decided to take that $800 and put it towards a motorcycle.

I ended up with a 2004 Suzuki Savage, a 652cc 1 cylinder thumper. It had 5500 miles on it and was clean but needed tires. I gave $1200 for it, new tires/tubes were $160 and FL DMV charges were $180. I was more than I should have spent but now I have something that will keep up with traffic in a 55mph zone.

I still want to build a MB. Something I can take with me when I go camping, outdoor events, etc. Loading a 390 lb MC in the back of a '84 Dodge pickup is out of the question, a 70 lb MB isn't. I may start a build this winter, if not, next spring.

Till then, ya'll cruise safe!
    quik225

6. Figment51

Figment51 New Member

I know what you are saying I am waiting for my appointment for inspection I also thought of getting a motorcycle but the DMV wiped my Motor Cycle endorsement off my license last time I renewed and said I would have to take a course at 300.00 I told them I had My endorsement for 30 years and it should not have been removed they said it was a error and nothing they could do If the inspection fails I won't pursue it any further it is who you know here