48v/79cc AWD Sidewinder MTB/Trike

GoldenMotor.com

kundalini2169

Mar 31, 2022
I set out to create the ultimate motorized bike with as many features as possible all on one bike/trike. I already had a 79cc Predator with jackshaft mount on a trike axle with 29" MTB tires so I started there. It's original frame was aluminum and quickly revealed it wasn't up to the task. I replaced with a like new Schwinn Sidewinder frame, and put a 48v hub motor setup on the front. Front tire electric, rear left tire gas powered, + rear right, pedal powered= AWD Hybrid. I set the electric on pedal assist but put PAS sensor and magnets on the left gas powered tire so I can run both off the 1 gas throttle if needed. The electric is installed as a twist, gas as thumb, both on right. I takes some getting used to, and adjusting, but once the electric starts responding from the gas drivetrain, the machine will take off and is the fastest I have ever built or seen.

Attachments

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I have a Sidewinder with a triple chainring shift kit. I do all my shifting with my left hand. I also use a color code on the shifters.

Red gears
1(1-3)

Yellow gears
2(3-5)

Green gears
3(5-7).

kundalini2169

Mar 31, 2022
With your left hand? Curious how that is set up, I have read your post on your chainring set up. I have a Sachs/Sram 3x7 (Dual Drive) that I converted to use as a trike transfer hub by bolting a single sprocket to it. While I am aware that many of the gear ratios will repeat, I wanted to install it to see what kind of range I would get. While 63 speed combinations is a bit excessive, but I would like to be able to contribute power when moving 15 mph +.

Curious if your motor runs through your gears or direct to rear.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
With your left hand? Curious how that is set up, I have read your post on your chainring set up. I have a Sachs/Sram 3x7 (Dual Drive) that I converted to use as a trike transfer hub by bolting a single sprocket to it. While I am aware that many of the gear ratios will repeat, I wanted to install it to see what kind of range I would get. While 63 speed combinations is a bit excessive, but I would like to be able to contribute power when moving 15 mph +.

Double trigger shifters (SunRace M406, 3-speed, and Sram X3, 7-speed). Yes, the engine runs through the triple chainring shift kit. The reduction range is 66.79\1 to 16.25\1. The only time a front Chainring is shifted is when in either rear sprockets (3) or (5). My system also keeps cross-chaining to a bare minimum. My take-off gear is 1(1) for uphill and 2(3) for all other take-offs. When at full throttle I use a gear that keeps the rpm between 6000-7000.

20221126_002205.jpg

20221126_002021.jpg

20221126_004120.jpg
IMG_20220824_132527.jpg
20221126_004015.jpg

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN

I'm not quite picturing what you're describing. However, I'm very good at developing sequential shifting systems. For example on a 3x7 pedal-only bike is shifted like this:
1(1-4); 2(2-5); 3(4-7) for 12 non-redundant sequential ratios.

My nephew has a Raleigh 3×8 Mountain bike with 27.5" wheel.

24, 34, 42 (32,28,24,21,18,15,13,11)

Though his bike has the cheaper Shimano T-51 shifters and it's 2 handed shiftings; this is the setup. It has 12 non-redundant sequential ratios.

Red gears
1(1-5)

Yellow gears
2(4-7)

Green gears
3(6-8)

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Are you saying a 3-speed Sachs drives one wheel and a Sram 3×7 drives the other wheel?

You could then use the 12-speed sequential system. Or even use a 9-speed system like I use. I tell pedal-only riders if a gear is too easy or too hard to comfortably maintain a cadence (crank rpm) of 70-90 it means you're in the wrong gear.

kundalini2169

Mar 31, 2022
I haven't gone through and run the calculations yet just know the min/max specs so far. I have the identical Sidewinder but with the original front 3 disk crank, it would go to the 7 disc cassette that runs 11t to 34t. Opposite the cassette is a 24t sprocket that drives a 24t sprocket directly linked to a 29" rear tire. The bonus in this setup is the internal 3 speeds built into the hub that holds the 7 disc cassette. My understanding is that it's ratios are .67, 1.00, and 1.33. All of this would be pedal powered but allow me to contribute power at any speed I'm hoping. The electric front wheel is best used for take off and the gas motor is geared to deliver it's power when the setup is moving at 10 mph or more. Currently, even with the 21 speed set up I find take off to be difficult by pedal power alone, and the high rpms of top gear and speed too fast to assist with. I want this trike to be something I can pedal and assist or be the sole power if I find myself with an empty tank, drained battery, or something breaks. Its also on the bucket list to be able to have a 63 speed AWD trike hybrid. Besides once the drivetrain gets dialed in, then I can work on installing the solar powered, subwoofer/satellite sound system.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I haven't gone through and run the calculations yet just know the min/max specs so far. I have the identical Sidewinder but with the original front 3 disk crank, it would go to the 7 disc cassette that runs 11t to 34t. Opposite the cassette is a 24t sprocket that drives a 24t sprocket directly linked to a 29" rear tire. The bonus in this setup is the internal 3 speeds built into the hub that holds the 7 disc cassette. My understanding is that it's ratios are .67, 1.00, and 1.33. All of this would be pedal powered but allow me to contribute power at any speed I'm hoping. The electric front wheel is best used for take off and the gas motor is geared to deliver it's power when the setup is moving at 10 mph or more. Currently, even with the 21 speed set up I find take off to be difficult by pedal power alone, and the high rpms of top gear and speed too fast to assist with. I want this trike to be something I can pedal and assist or be the sole power if I find myself with an empty tank, drained battery, or something breaks. Its also on the bucket list to be able to have a 63 speed AWD trike hybrid. Besides once the drivetrain gets dialed in, then I can work on installing the solar powered, subwoofer/satellite sound system.
I see, you made some kind of adaptor that allowed you to put a 7-speed cassette onto a 3-speed IGH.

Is the cassette (34,28,22,18,15,13,11)?

I saw a SunRace one on Amazon with those cogs. Also on most 3-speed IGH hubs it is .75, 1, 1.33 (3/4, 1, 4/3) a 5-speed is (5/8, 3/4, 1, 4/3, 8/5).

My Sidewinder original chainrings were 24, 34, 42.

It looks like with your setup the pedal-only range is 53% to 509%.

Even your highest gear [3] 3(7) at a 90 cadence you won't be giving any assistance once you hit 40 mph.

Last edited:

albertjohnnson

Nov 16, 2022
United States
o.bike
The 48v/79cc AWD Sidewinder MTB/Trike is a hybrid electric/gas powered mountain bike or trike that features all-wheel drive for improved traction and stability on rough terrain. It has a 48-volt electric motor for power, as well as a 79cc gas engine for added range and performance. It is designed for off-road adventures and can handle rugged trails and obstacles with ease. The trike option allows for increased stability and stability, making it ideal for those who may have difficulty balancing on a traditional two-wheeled bike. Overall, the 48v/79cc AWD Sidewinder MTB/Trike is a versatile and durable electric/gas hybrid vehicle that is perfect for tackling tough terrain.